Loss of power, no other problems 1997 cavalier 2.

loss of power, no other problems 1997 cavalier 2.2 4 cylinder no oil loss coolant leaking out of head gasket no compression
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
What is your actual question? Do you have coolant leaking from the head gasket?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
loss of power
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
car lost power coming to red traffic light. did not start after that. RRRRR to start but no start. power there to start. fuel pump working, plugs sparking, battery fine, atlernator fine, 2 opinions...maybe antitheft because steering column cylinder loose.....or no compression in spark plugs.....possible timing chain...small amount of coolant seen leaking from head gasket...altho no reservoir loss, no oil loss
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Sorry your additional info was not listed when your question posted. The leaking of coolant is a common problem on this model and would require a head gasted repair. The 2.2 engine your car has is not the 2.2 that has had the problems with the tensioner as the newer 2.2 ecotec engine. Your 2.2 is the older style over head valve engine. The newer 2.2 with the over head cams has been much more problematic. I could honestly see an issue with the timing system on your engine though. This could be checked by doing a compression test across all cylinders. If you note that the cylinders are not within 10% of eachother, I would figure this to be either a faulty head gasket or a valve sealing issue. A leak down test on the lowest cylinders would be a good idea. This would allow for you to check to see if this compression is being lost into the exhaust, intake, cooling system, or even possibly the engine crankcase. As far as this being related to the theft system, it would not be. If this was, you would see a theft indicator in the instrument panel with the key in the on position. Beyond these items though it would be a real good idea to test for strong spark. This would be evident by a a blue-white spark at the spark plugs. Fuel pressure is also another item that should be checked. If this vehicle is low on fuel pressure you would have these problems. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Didn't ask a question did I?...I guess what I'm asking is....Whats a "compression plug"? How does it relate to timing chain problem? Does timing chain just go out suddenly? Until the car died and wouldn't start, no problems.

And how many hours of labor can I reasonably expect to replace the timing chain? Thanks.

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure what a compression plug is. A compression tester goes in place of a spark plug. This is used to check for cylinder compression. This is very much related to the timing system as well as valvetrain. Yes the timing chain can just fail. Replacing the timing chain will require 5.2 hours. Let me know if you have any further questions! Good luck!