Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division

I have a GM 4t65e auto transmission. It started clunking into

Customer Question

I have a GM 4t65e auto transmission. It started "clunking"into the gears when in traffic. It is a rebuilt transmission as of 40k miles ago. Took it to AAMCO. After going around the block, the mechanic there brought it inside, firmly stepped on the break put it in gear and revv'd the engine several times. the wheels were shuddering. Is this a normal transmission test? He then took of the pan cover and showed me a broken, paper thin metal chunk that was in the pan (about the size of a quarter) looked like it was made of brass, the fluid was otherwise clear, smelled fine. He said it could be part of a bearing. It makes me wonder if he placed it there so that they could charge me for a replacement. They then said that they'll have to take the transmission apart and replace the soft parts. Should cost in the neighborhood of $1500. Does anyone out there think I'm getting ripped off? How many labor hours to remove and replace a transmission? How much should the parts cost?
Category: Car
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hi,the test he did was called power braking, to see if the unit is slipping. It normally wouldn't shudder,but it hard to tell you what was going on without being there. The price is actulally reasonable, at least in my area. The price in NY for a rebuilt transmission, parts and labor is from 1800 to 2300. If you are unsure of the shop,I would get a second or third opinion,along with a scan for codes. These transmission had a problem with the pressure control soleniod,and also valve body issues. I will send you some info on service bulletins for this. The problem is that a shop may try the repair and sometimes it doesn't help and the unit needs an overhaul,they wind up not being able to charge for the lost time,so many would preffer to just go through the unit with it on the bench.

graphic

graphic

Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jerry, they did run the computer diagnostic, but no results were thrown. If it didn't produce any codes, should I be replacing it? Also, I read online that all the ACDELCO replacements for the PCS are defective. Would you recommend a replacement PCS that may be better designed? Is just replacing the "soft" parts in the transmission considered a rebuild? Should I ask for a transmission replacement instead? Would this save me more money in the long run? What have you heard, good or bad about the quality of transmission you can get from AAMCO? Should I order the transmission online and have them install it instead (perhaps for better quality)? Your advice is appreciated and knowing that the power breaking is standard procedure and not to further harm my vehicle makes me more comfortable.

Hi, I have not heard of any problems with the replacement solenoids from GM. If you are unsure of the test tesults form AAMCO,you may want to have the problem checked at a dealer. They should be able to do the transmission pressure test as described in the TSB I sent, and recheck for any codes.The soft parts are the usual parts in a rebuild,gaskets,seals,clutch plates. Hard parts such as pumps,planetarty gears,are usually an extra charge needed.You can get a trans from a company called http://www.jasperengines.com/ for a little over 2K,between the shipping ang the installation it will be a little costly. You can ask the dealer abou the price of a SERTA trans,they are rebuilt for GM to their specs,and come with a good warranty. The problem with buying your own unit and having installed is, if there is a problem,the labor can become an issue.