Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

how to replace thermostat in 2000 Chevy Venture Van

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
HI there! You have to remove the exhaust pipe that connect the front and rear banks.It is a bit of a pain,but not impossible.Hope this helps!
Removal & Installation
  1. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.
  2. Drain the coolant until the coolant level is below the thermostat.
  3. Remove the crossover exhaust pipe.
  4. Remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
  5. Remove the thermostat housing bolts and clean any sealer from the bolt threads.
    Click image to see an enlarged viewRemove the housing bolts
  6. Remove the thermostat housing and gasket.
  7. Remove the thermostat.
  8. Clean the mating surfaces.

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged viewThe removal and installation of the thermostat
  1. Install the thermostat.
  2. Install the thermostat housing and gasket.
    Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  3. Install the thermostat housing bolts and tighten them to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  4. Install the radiator hose to the thermostat housing.
  5. Install the crossover exhaust pipe.
  6. Install the air cleaner and duct assembly.
  7. Fill the cooling system.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is my status: We're Waiting For You (Relist) What does this mean? Also, what if I have additional questions about the answer?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure what that means.If you have additional questions,go ahead and ask.It is will not have to pay again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can't get the heat shield off of the exhaust, bolts are out but cannot get it out of the way to remove exhaust bolts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
They are interlocked together,you may have to remove pry a bit to get it off.Make sure you got all the bolts as well.I believe there are a couple hidden bolts on the shield.