A+TEC
A+TEC, Mechanic
Experience:  6 years experience in foreign/domestic auto repair expert in troubleshooting
12871763

What would cause the automatic transmission not to engage in

What would cause the automatic transmission not to engage in any gear except park for a 1999 hyundai elantra
Category: Car
Expert:  A+TEC replied 5 years ago.
thank you for using justanswer.com iam pleased to help you lets start when the car is engage in park can you shift to R nuetral or drive or its stuck on park
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The gear selector moves fine but everytime i engage it in R or D and give it some gas it won't move
Expert:  A+TEC replied 5 years ago.

ok now this car has TSB which i will get more information on just give me a few

minutes ill be right which you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What's a TSB? and What's wrong with the transmission?
Expert:  A+TEC replied 5 years ago.

please tell my if you have the check engine light on your car

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no nothing displaying
Expert:  A+TEC replied 5 years ago.

ok let me explain whats a TSB technical service bulletin #0240001 these are issued by the manufacturer and sent to the dealers in addition to notifying the dealer of the problem but the problem is that this TSB was issued for flare or disengage which means that that this can only occur if the car is running in gear

but this what could be wrong with your your transmission if it does not engage at all please check number 1 and 2 this is very common on these cars and then go down the list after you check 1 and 2

1 Gear selector cable has failed

• Brake lock solenoid has failed not allowing the gear selector to move out of "Park"

2Excessively low transmission fluid (note: if car is operated for an extended amount of time with low fluid level the transmission will fail prematurely)

• Shorted electrical component not allowing the PCM to control the transmission. Example: shorted fuse
  • Flex plate (flywheel) is broken completely not transferring engine power to the transmission.
A+TEC, Mechanic
Experience: 6 years experience in foreign/domestic auto repair expert in troubleshooting