MIKEVIN_BEGGS
MIKEVIN_BEGGS, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  General Motors, Ford, & Mitsubishi Certified technician.
10218648

2000 Lincoln Ls: V6..me heater is not working..ac works fine.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Lincoln Ls V6 and me heater is not working. It turns on but does heat up. Ac works fine. What could be the proble?
Category: Car
Expert:  MIKEVIN_BEGGS replied 6 years ago.

Hello, my name is Kevin.

Very often this concern is caused by a faulty blend door motor.

see below to pull codes

On-Demand DTCs are those that are reported by an ECU when a failure is detected while executing a diagnostic test. For the DATC module this means that all faults (hard) that occur while the module is conducting a self-test shall be reported as an on-demand DTC.

• The DATC Module Self-Test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages such as engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. The NGS tester must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The vehicle interior temperature should be between 0-32°C (32-90°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false temperature sensor DTCs may be displayed.

The DATC self-test through the front panel display:

• can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • is entered by pressing the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then pressing the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show counts of 1 to 25 in the center of the display window. Record all DTCs
  • concludes by reporting all on-demand DTCs. Follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION in the DTC index for each DTC given.
  • reports individual on-demand DTCs as four-digit DTCs (less the alpha character).
  • will calibrate all the mode doors and check all analog inputs. The DATC will only report on-demand (hard) faults that occurred while the DATC was conducting its self-test.
  • will light all control panel display segments if no faults are detected.
  • will report individual on-demand DTCs without the °C symbol lit.

To exit the self-test, press any button. This will clear all on-demand codes from the DATC memory. If no button is pushed DTCs will continue to be displayed.

Upon exit from the self-test the DATC returns to operational status. The DATC executes a hard (cold boot) reset which places the DATC in the OFF mode.

If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The DATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation. See: Diagnosis By Symptom

Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My vehicle has the dual climate control and has two differnt climate controls. One for the driver and one for the passenger. I tried to push both red heat buttons and the outside temperature control and it did not display anything.

I made a mistake intially & have provided the correct proceedure for the dual climate control above. Sorry. I will repost it.

Please review the highlighted area in billits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by KEVIN BEGGS on October 23 2008 at 6:18 AM

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there an easier way to get the code because I do not understand to the previous answer I just recieved.

unfortunately there isn't.

press the OFF and FLOOR buttons at the same time. let go and then press the AUTO button within two seconds .

The display will show counts of 1 to 25 in the center of the display window.

record all of the displayed numbers

report back to me with all of the displayed numbers

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry if I sound dumb, but I am a female and don't know what the floor button is.

It will either have the word floor on the button or a pictogram showing air flow to the feet.

It is the button that you would push to send the air to your feet.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The number displayed were 25 thru 0 on the driver's side of the vehicle and 25 thru 0 on the passnger side. Basically it counted from 25 to 0 on the driver's side while it counted down from 25 to 0 on the passenger side.

O.K. this moves us into a coulpe of different areas.

1. with the engine cold ( first thing in the morning ) Check the coolant level & make sure

it is at the full mark.

2. If the coolant level is full, then you are having another engine cooling system

concern. Unfortunately, you will need to take the vehicle in for an inspection of the

electronic engine control system.

Is the check engine light on ?

Is the vehicle running hot ?

Are there any other concerns, no matter how minor ?

Let me know what you find.

When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you press the accept key. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, thanks & good luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No check engine light on, it is not running hot, and no other mechanical problems other than the heater not getting hot.