gunny44, technician/shop foreman
Experience:  40 years experience, engine diagnose, transmissions, Ford, Pontiac, GM, Isuzu, 12 years with Kia

2004 KIA Optima Ex: driver door wont unlock, How do I remove panel

2004 KIA Optima Ex,driver door won't unlock, How do I remove panel? door isn't open.
Category: Car
Expert:  gunny44 replied 8 years ago.

Hi Invay

At one time when this problem first started did the door lock as you pulled the handle to open it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I locked it from the inside with the power lock, then could not open it. tried turning the key before when this happen the door opened, but this time nothing.
Expert:  gunny44 replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like the lock lever jambed next to the unlatch pawl in your door latch. Lower your window all the way. Gently pull the top of the door panel up and over the top of the door frame towards the inside of the car. Look into the door with a flashlight and you will see the latch has a plastic cover. Take a long screwdriver and pry on this cover until it is off. (it just has a tab that will release) In the middle of the latch you will see a metal square looking piece. Push down on this with a long rod or whatever and the door should open. There is no way to get the door panel off with the door closed. If you are not comfortable doing this, most tow companies can slim jim it open. I know this sounds like a lot but one step at a time and it is not that hard. You will probably find the latch needing replacement. Seen this many times.

Expert:  gunny44 replied 8 years ago.
Just a quick after thought. You know that if you have less than 60k miles on this 2004Optima that it is still under warranty for this problem>