Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician

How to install a heater core in a Mitsubishi Galant 2002

how to install a heater core in a Mitsubishi Galant 2002
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jay,

Here are the instructions for your heater core.

Good luck,

Rich

Galant

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

CAUTION

After disconnecting the negative battery cable, wait at least 60 seconds before working on the SRS module or instrument panel.

2. Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.

3. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core at the firewall.

WARNING

To prevent damage to the air bag control unit during removal or installation of the floor console, avoid shocks or impact. Do not drop.

4. Remove the floor console by removing or disconnecting the following:

• Shift lever knob on manual transmission vehicles or the shift indicator plate on automatic transmissions

• Coin holder behind the shifter, then the center console trim cover in front of the shifter

• Center console retaining bolt cover plugs, then remove the bolts

• Console assembly, then the brackets

5. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Steering column covers

• Instrument cluster bezel and then the instrument cluster

• Instrument panel switch, hood lock release handle and the lower duct work

• Driver's knee protector and the left side air outlet cover

• Center panel assembly

• Glove box undercover, then the glove box and the right side panel cover

• Radio and cup holder

• Cables from the heater assembly and the blower, then pull out the heater control panel assembly, noting the location of the boss in the center reinforcement

• Cool air bypass damper lever cable connection

• Passenger's side air bag module and disconnect the harness connector, if equipped

• Steering column bolts and lower the column

• Harness connector at the lower left side of the instrument panel

• Instrument panel mounting hardware and remove the instrument panel from the vehicle

• Joint duct between the heater case and the blower assembly (on models without air conditioning)

• Both stamped steel center reinforcement piece

• ECM bracket

• Evaporator retaining nut and remove the heater case assembly, if equipped with air conditioning

• Heater core from the case

Exploded view of the heater core, heater housing and related components-1999-2003 Galant

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

• Heater core to the case

• Evaporator retaining nut and Install the heater case assembly, if equipped with air conditioning

• ECM bracket

• Both stamped steel center reinforcement pieces

• Instrument panel and install the instrument panel mounting hardware

• Steering column bolts

• Passenger's side air bag module and connect the harness connector, if equipped

• Cables to the heater assembly and the blower and install the heater control panel assembly

• Radio and cup holder

• Center panel assembly

• Left side air outlet cover and the driver's knee protector

• Lower duct work, the instrument panel switch and hood lock release handle

• Instrument cluster and the instrument cluster bezel

• Steering column covers

2. Install the floor console installing or connecting the following:

• Console assembly brackets and the console

• Center console retaining bolts, then the bolt cover plugs

• Heater hoses to the heater core at the firewall

3. Refill the cooling system.

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.

Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician