automstr, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech

I have a 2002 acura mdx.. SRS light stays on... read about

I have a 2002 acura mdx.. SRS light stays on... read about a way to reset by unplugging the mes plug and shorting it out. does this work??? can it do any damage or any danger of deploying the air bags if done??
Category: Car
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. You can reset it using the procedure you describe but if you dont repair the fault it will come right back on . the good news is that in most cases the repair is to replace a seat belt buckle that is covered by the lifetime seatbelt warranty if you live in the USA . or another recall on the OPDS system. there isn't much danger of deploying the bags by shorting the mes connector. but airbag repair is best left to someone with the proper equipment and training .I would check with a local acura dealer to see if this can be repaired for free under one of these warrantys.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks so much for your quick r3ply. I will try to short out method first and if that does not work will call the dealer for further follow-up... thanks for your help!!