gunny44
gunny44, technician/shop foreman
Experience:  40 years experience, engine diagnose, transmissions, Ford, Pontiac, GM, Isuzu, 12 years with Kia
11374595

1999 KIA Sportage: DOHC..timing marks..E. Crank shaft..top dead center

1999 KIA Sportage 2.0 DOHC, how to alighn cam timing marks. Left side mark_____, right side mark is E. Crank shaft is top dead center.

HiCustomer/p>

The crankshaft front housing has a raised line and aligns with notch on sprocket backing plate.

The intake manifold side sprocket (passenger side) the "I" with the notch is up.

The exhaust manifold side sprocket (drivers side) the "E" with the notch is up.

Hope this answers your question and you accept. Get back to me if necc.

Regards. Gunny44

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Gunny44 thanks for the info, will accept. My Left Cam shaft has three marks on it, a E in the middle and a I next to it. Will look again tomarrow.

The "E" and the "I" should be 180 degrees apart. Make sure the I you see isn't just a notch. There is a third notch without the E and I but you don't need it. Look closely.

Gunny44

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
gunny back again, took head off for valve job to 2.0 KIA head, shop didnot replace sprockets to Cam Shafts. How do I reinstall them correctely. I know wher the Exaust goes and the Intake goes but there is a little key on both ends and you can flipp them 180 degrees and be wrong.

I can't believe your still working on this.

Have the camshaft dowel pins facing at the 12 0'clock position on the engine then

Install the camshaft pulleys on the camshafts with the dowel pins fit into the hole at the I mark(intake side) and E mark(exhaust side).

Thank you for the accept.

Just one more note so you don't mix up the cam shafts. The exhaust camshaft has a steel dowel pin at the rear for the camshaft position sensor.