Dave
Dave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Technician

1998 grand prix gtp: dies..service engine light..the tach stays..crank

1998 grand prix gtp dies going down the road. The Car shows no service engine light or code. When trying to start back up the tach stays at zero and the car will not crank. Then after a few minutes of trying to start the tach will move a little while cranking and then it will crank. I have also noticed that the traction control off light will be on also.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Welcome ti1122
Does your vehicle die at high speed or low speed or both? How often does the problem occur? How long have you been having this problem? Have you have any service or parts replaced around the time the problem started? Thanks Dave
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the care about a year ago. Since I have put a bout ten thousand miles on it. The first time it started doing it, it was when the car was in park sitting and idleing. maybe once a week then. Now it has progressed into while going down the road at any speed. But mainly at city speeds 25 to 45. But the car was doing it a little when i purchased it, its progessively getting worse. So it may have been doing it with the previous owner. But I havnt replaced anything. no warning its just like u turned the key off. It does it at least once a day now and I only drive 25 miles round trip to work. thanks
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
With the key on engine not running does the check engine light stay on steady ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a battery in the vehicle that you know is good and fully charged ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I have had parts house check both battery and alternator. They both checked good. One person tells me the ignition module is bad. Another tells me crank position sensor or cam sensor. Dave I have been down this road of replacing parts on vechicles until it is fixed. I dont really have the money or want the headaches of doing it with this car. Everything electrical works on the car perfect. I figured if it was a sensor it would throw a code but it dont. It seems to happen when the car is up to operating temp. Never happens when engine is cold.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car runs good. no missing, no hesitastion, no power loss or anything like that. Its jst like i said earlier its like u turn the key off. No spitting or sputtering or back fire. Some times it will crank right back up and some times its 10 minutes or more.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
The check engine does not come on while the engine is running right ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
right
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
ti1122
Your problem is a poor or bad frame ground to the ignition control module & the power train control module. Best I can tell the ground is near the battery, near the front right top of the engine or on the engine block. Follow the Battery ground cable to find it. This ground wire is black with a white strip. Thanks for being a justanswer customer Dave
Dave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.E Technician