Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

how do you remove a 2002 kia sportage starter

Customer Question

how do you remove a 2002 kia sportage starter?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions with illustrations to help out:

Removal
1.Disconnect negative battery cable.
2.Remove the upper two bolts from the intake manifold bracket.
3.Raise vehicle and support.
4.Remove the two bolts on the clutch release cylinder and push aside (M/T).

5.Remove the lower two intake manifold bracket bolts.
6.Remove intake manifold bracket.
7.Remove the two upper starter bolts.

8.Remove the lower starter bolt.
9.Pull the starter from the clutch (M/T) / torque converter (A/T) housing and prop in place.
10.Lower the vehicle.
11.From above, disconnect the S-terminal connector.
12.Remove nut and lock washer on B-terminal.
13.Disconnect B-terminal.

14.Raise and support vehicle.
15.Push transmission wire harness aside.
16.Remove starter.
Installation
1.Place starter in engine well.
2.Lower vehicle.
3.Connect B-terminal wire.
4.Install washer and nut on B-terminal and tighten.
5.Connect S-terminal.
6.Lower intake manifold bracket into position and insert the two upper bolts.

7.Raise and support vehicle.
8.Place starter in position.
9.Insert the two upper starter bolts.
10.Insert lower starter bolt.
The starter may require adjustment after installation. If required, rotate the starter slightly to provide proper clearance.

11.Tighten the three starter bolts.

Tighten the bolts to 27-40 Ib-ft (37-54 N·m).
12.Insert lower bracket bolts and tighten.

Tighten the bolts to 27-40 Ib-ft (37-54 N·m)
13.Position clutch release cylinder and install bolts (M/T).

14.Lower vehicle.
15.Tighten the two upper intake manifold bolts.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I will try it. thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I replaced the starter, put in a new battery but the car does not turn over. My car has not run since Dec 31, 2007. Any recommendations...
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Can you give me some detail on what happened when it quit running? Also, when you try to start vehicle does it even make a clicking noise? Lastly, is the security light flashing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my car quit running suddenly while i was driving it new year's eve 2007. I tried jumping it but no luck. and so I left it alone for 10 months until yesterday when I had to fix it since my other car, a 2006 pontiac vibe, had a faulty pcm replaced...cost $700.00 dealer cost. ouch!

Anyways, my kia sportage is not cranking. The lights and everything else is working but it is not starting. I don't know if the long layoff has caused this but i don't think so.

Any troubleshooting suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply...I really like this website.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Do you have a DVOM( digital volt/ohm meter), or have access to one?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no but i can get one from target's.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, but before we get into testing, lets check some basics. You have a fuse box behind the left side kick panel below the instrument panel. I need you to check the following fuses highlighted, and replace if bad:

graphic

Next, on the right side of the engine compartment is a fuse/relay box. There are several fuses that can cause this problem. Check to see if the highlighted ones are bad- replace if any found bad. Also highlighted is the main relay- you can swap it with the fuel pump relay in the same compartment. If vehicle will turn over(it wont fire up because you are using the fuel pump relay), the nmain relay is bad and needs to be replaced:

graphic

If all the above fuses and relays are good, let me know and we will go from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuses are all good to go.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The next thing to check is the timing belt. This engine is an interference engine. This means that if the timing belt breaks, the valves will hit the top of the pistons and bend the valves. Worst case can cause the engine to lock up.

A couple of ways to check- either use a wrench or socket and ratchet and try to manually turn the engine over with the crankshaft bolt, or remove the upper timing belt cover and physically verify if timing belt is broken or not:

graphic

graphic