Mauricio
Mauricio, Technician
Experience:  15 years working in all makes and models
12133139

99 Kia Sephia: speedometer..engine light came..Dealership..the tranny

My daughters 99 Kia Sephia's speedometer started working intermittently, the O/D light started flashing, then the check engine light came on. The codes all point to speed sensor - so I bought one from a Kia Dealership tonight. I figured it'd be easy to find- top of the tranny somewhere. This part doesn't match anything I see after pulling the Air cleaner assembly off, and battery out. Am I not looking in the right place? I have a part number- and it matches what Kia says it is- however- when I got it home I noticed the box had been opened before. Would any of you know where or how a Kia speed sensor is located/fastened?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mauricio replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
  2. Pull data link connector upward from MAF sensor.
  3. Disconnect air temperature sensor connector and MAF sensor connector.
  4. Remove air cleaner assembly.
  5. Disconnect input/turbine speed sensor connector.

graphic

graphic

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Mauricio, Technician
Experience: 15 years working in all makes and models
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is definitely not the part they gave me. But the part number 0k011 55475c seems to be the right part number? graphic
Expert:  Mauricio replied 6 years ago.

The vehicle speed sensor provides a signal to the speedometer that is proportional to vehicle speed. The speedometer then supplies this signal to other control modules that require this input.

graphic

Raise vehicle wheels clear of ground before proceeding.

1. Turn ignition to ON and use a voltmeter to back probe pin 1 of C150.
  2. Have an assistant rotate one drive wheel, chocking the other drive wheel, if necessary. This will rotate the vehicle speed sensor.
  3. Voltmeter reading should alternate between approximately 1 and 10 Volts. graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The 2nd image is more detailed, but appears to be the wrong year. On this Sephia, that sensor is held down by a bolted flat clamp, it's not threaded in like the on in the picture. The image you show looks like the part I have, but not the one on the car.

I really dont' mean to be a PITA- I'll try and get a picture close up of what both look like tomorrow. I do appreciate the help so far. ......but it's pointing me to the idea that the part inside the box isn't the part that was supposed to be there....see first post.

Chris

Expert:  Mauricio replied 6 years ago.
ok let me know