Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

NEED TIMING MARKS FOR 1997 KIA SEPHIA 1.8 LITER LS .

Customer Question

NEED TIMING MARKS FOR 1997 KIA SEPHIA 1.8 LITER LS .TIMING IS OFF ONE TOOTH
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
REMOVAL
1.Disconnect the cable from the negative (-)battery terminal.
2.Raise the vehicle and support with jack stands.
3.Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.
Do not remove the water pump pulley bolts at this time.
4.Loosen lock nuts A, B and C. Adjust D accordingly, and remove tension from the power steering and/or the A/C drive belt.

5.Remove the P/S and/or the A/C drive belt.
6.Loosen the generator mounting belts and loosen the adjusting bolt.

7.Remove the generator belt.
8.Remove the three water pump pulley bolts and remove the water pump pulley.

9.Remove the four crankshaft pulley bolts and remove the crankshaft pulley and pulley plate.

10.Disconnect the high-tension leads fron the cylinder head cover.
11.Remove the spark plugs to relive compression and ease the turning of the engine to align the timing marks.

12.Remove the eleven cylinder head cover bolts and remove the cylinder cover from the engine.

13.Remove the four upper timing belt cover bolts and remove the upper timing belt cover.

14.Remove the single middle timing belt cover bolts and remove the lower timing belt cover.
15.Remove the two lower timing belt cover bolts and remove the lower timing belt cover.
16.Turn the crankshaft pulley so that the timing mark on the timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on the engine.

17.Check that the "E" mark on the intake camshaft pulley is pulley is aligned with the "E"mark on the seal plate and the "I" mark on the exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with the "I" mark on the seal plate.
Do not move the camshafts or the crankshaft once the timing marks have been correctly positooned.

18.Loosen the tensioner pulley lock bolt.
19.Protect the timing belt with a rag.
20.Pry the tensioner pulley to its furthest point to relieve the tension on the timing belt and tighten the tensioner pulley lock bolt.

21.Remove the crankshaft pulley lock bolt.

22.Remove the crankshaft pulley boss.
23.Remove the timing belt.
Mark the direction of timing belt rotation (on the timing belt) for proper reinstallation.
INSTALLATION
1.Loosen the tensioner pulley lock bolt and install the tensioner spring.

2.Pull the tensioner pulley to its furthest point and tighten the lock bolt.
3.Check that the timing mark on the timing belt pulley is aligned with the timing mark on the engine.

4.Check that the "E" mark on the intake camshaft pulley is aligned with the "E" mark on the seal plate and the "I" mark onthe exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with the "I" mark on the seal plate.

If the existing timing belt is being reused, install the belt in the proper rotation dorection marked prior to removal.

5.Install the timing belt onto the timing belt pulley first, then the idler pulley, intake camshaft pulley, exhaust camshaft pulley, and tensioner pulley in that order.
6.Check that there is no looseness in the belt between the idler pulley and the exhaust camshaft pulley or between the intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys.

7.Install the crankshaft pulley boss and crankshaft pulley lock bolt.

8.Loosen the tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow the tensioner spring to apply tension to the timing belt.
Do not add additional tension.

9.Tighten the tensioner pulley lock bolt to the specified torque.

Tightening torque : 28-38 ft.lb. (38-51N·m)
10.Rotate the crankshaft two full revolutions (clockwise only) and align the timing mark on the timing belt pulley with the timing mark on the engine block.

11.Check that the "E" mark on the intake camshaft pulley is aligned with the "E" mark on the seal plate and the "I" mark onthe exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with the "I" mark on the seal plate.

12.If they are not aliged, remove the timing belt and start the process from the tensioner installation.
13.Rotate the crankshaft 1-5/6 turns (clockwise only) and align the timing belt pulley timing mark with the tension set mark, as shown in the illustration

14.Measure the timing belt deflection by applying moderate pressure midway between the camshaft pulleys. If the deflection is not correct, repeat from step 1.

Deflection Pressure : 22 lb. (98N) Deflection : 0.36-0.45 in. (9.0-11.5mm)

15.Install the lower, middle and upper timing belt covers in that order to the front of the engine.

16.Install the timing cover bolts and torque to specification.

Tightening Torque : 70-96 in.lb. (7.9-10.7 N·m)
17.Apply silicone sealer to the areas next to the front camshaft journals and the distributor mounting cap.

18.Remove all foreign material from the cylinder head cover groove.
19.Insert gasket into groove of cylinder head cover.
20.Apply silicone sealant to the cylinder head cover as shown.

21.Install the cylinder head cover. Tighten the cylinder head cover bolts to the propertorque.

Tightening torque : 44-78 in.lb. (5.0-8.8N·m)

22.Apply a small amount of anti-seize commpound to the spark plug threads and install the spark plugs.

23.Apply a small amount of silicone dielectric grease to the high-tension leads to the spark plugs.
24.Secure the crankshaft with the SST(or equivalent) and tighten the crankshaft pulley lock bolt.

Tightening torque : 116-122 ft.lb (157-166 N·m)

Torque Specifications
ComponentTightening Torque
Front Crankshaft Bolt116-122 ft·lb (157-166N·m)
Crankshaft Pulley Bolts9.1-12.6 ft·lb (13-17N·m)
Water Pump Pulley Bolts5.8-8.0 ft·lb (7.9-10.7N·m)
Timing Belt Idler and Tensioner Pulley Bolts28-38 ft·lb (38-51N·m)
Timing Cover Bolts5.8-8.0 ft·lb (7.9-10.7N·m)
Camshaft Cover Bolts3.7-6.5 ft·lb (5.0-8.8N·m)

Timing Belt Pulley

1.Insall the timing belt pulley.
2.Install the Woodruff with the tapered side toward the oil pump body.
Timing Belt Idler Pulley
1.Place the idler pulley on the front engine and tighten the bolt to specification.

Tightening torque : 28-38 ft.lb (38-51N·m)

Tensioner Pulley and Tensioner Spring
1.Install the tensioner pulley and the tensioner spring to the front of the engine.
2.Secure the tensioner pulley to its furthest extension away from the idler pulley.

Tightening Torque : 28-38ft.lb. (38-51N·m)
Installation
1.Turn the crankshaft (clockwise only) and align the timing belt mark with the timing mark on the engine block.

2.Check that the "E" mark on the intake camshaft pulley is aligned with the "E" mark on the seal plate and the "I" mark onthe exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with the "I" mark seal plate.

3.Install the timing belt so there is no looseness on the idler pulley side, or between the two camshaft pulleys.
4.Install the pulley boss and the pulley lock bolt.

5.Rotate the crankshaft two full revolutions(clockwise only) and align the timing belt pulley mark with the timing mark on the engine block.

6.Check that the camshaft pulley marks (E for intake and I for exhaust) are aligned with the embossed marks (E for intake and I for exhaust) on the seal plate.
7.If they are not aligned, remove the timing belt and start the process from the tensioner installation.
8.Install a ring gear brake at the flywheel (M/T) or drive plate (A/T).

9.Torque the crankshaft pulley lock bolt to specification.

Tightening Torque : 116-122 ft.lb. (157-166N·m)
10.Remove the ring gear brake.
11.Rotate the crankshaft 1-5/6 turns (clockwise only) and align the timing belt pulley mark with the tension set mark, as shown in the illustration.

12.Loosen the tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow the tensioner spring to apply to the timing belt.
Do not add additional tension.
13.Tighten the tensioner pulley lock bolt to the specified torque.

Tightening Torque : 28-38 ft.lb(38-51N·m)

14.Turn the crankshaft 2-1/6 turns (clockwise only) and verify that the timing marks are correctly aligned.
15.Check the timing belt deflection by applying moderate pressure 22lb. (9.0-11.5N·m) midway between the two camshaft pulleys.

Deflection : 0.36-0.45in. (9.0-11.5mm)

Timing Belt Covers
1.Install the lower, middle and upper timing belt covers in that order to the front of the engine .

2.Install the timing cover bolts and torque to specification.

Tightening Torque : 5.8-8.0 ft.b.(7.9-10.7N·m)
Cylindert Head Cover
1.Apply silincone sealant to the area next to the front camshaft journal caps and the distributor mounting cap, as shown in the illustration.

2.Install the cylinder head cover gasket and the cylinder head cover.
3.Remove all foreign material from the cylinder head cover groove.
4.Apply silicone sealant to the cylinder head cover as shown.

5.Install the cylinder head cover bolts and torque to specification.

Tightening Torque : 44-78 in.lb (5.0-8.8N·m)

Crankshaft Pulley
1.Install the crankshaft pulley.
2.Install the crankshaft pulley retainer plate.
3.Install the crankshaft pulley bolts and torque to specification

Tightening Torque : 109-151 in.lb (13-17 N·m)

Water Pump Pully
1.Install the water pump pulley.
2.Install the water pump pulley bolts and torque to specification.

Tighten Torque : 70-96in.lb. (7.9-10.7N·m)

INSPECTION
Never forcefully twist, turn inside out or bend the timing belt. Do not allow oil grease to contact the timing belt.
1.Replace the timing belt if it is contaminated with oil or grease.
2.Check the timing belt for uneven wear, fraying, peeling, cracking and hardening. Replace the timing belt as needed.

3.Bent the timing belt into a "U" shape as shown in the illustration. Distance "A" must be 1.0 inch (25mm) minimum.

4.Measure the free length of the tensioner spring. Replace the tensioner spring as needed.

Free Length (B6 DOHC) : 2.310 in. (58.8mm.) Free Length (BP DOHC) : 2.331 in. (59.2mm.)

5.Inspect both the idler pulley and tensioner pulley for uneven wear and smooth bearing operation.

6.Inspect the camshaft pulleys and timing belt pulley for broken teeth or damage.
Replace any component that shows damage, excessive wear, or that appears prone to a possible failure.