Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

Dodge intrepid: a vacuum leak under the plenum..fluctuates..rpms

2001 2.7 dodge intrepid seems to have a vacuum leak under the plenum. the idle fluctuates from 1000 to 1400 rpms. how do I remove the plenum and what do I look for to repair ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Most likely problem is a leaking gasket between upper and lower intakes.

Here are directions for removing the upper intake:

Removal:

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
  • Drain the cooling system.
  • Disconnect the air tube from the air cleaner and the throttle body.
  • Hold the throttle lever in the wide-open position and remove the throttle cable and the speed control cable from the lever. Compress the locking tabs on the cables and remove them from the mounting brackets.
  • Unplug the electrical connections from the following: NOTE Cover the lower part of the intake manifold to prevent foreign material from entering the engine.
    • Solenoid on the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve transducer
    • Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor
    • Throttle Position (TP) sensor
    • Idle Air Control (IAC) motor
    • Vacuum hose from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve as well as the power brake booster at the intake manifold nipple
    • Vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator
    • Purge hose from the throttle body
    • Electrical connector from the TP sensor and the IAC motor
    • EGR tube-to-intake manifold plenum screws
    • Intake manifold plenum (upper part of the manifold)
  •  

Installation:

• Intake plenum with new gasket onto the intake manifold. Loosely install the mounting bolts.
    • EGR tube to the manifold with a new gasket in place. Loosely install the mounting screws.
    • Torque the intake manifold plenum mounting bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm) following the outlined sequence
    • Left and right support brackets to the manifold and torque the lower fasteners to 50 inch lbs. (6 Nm) and the upper fasteners to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm)
    • EGR tube mounting bolts
    • PCV valve hose and power brake booster hose
    • Electrical connectors to the EGR transducer solenoid, IAC motor, MAP and TP sensors
    • Throttle cable and speed control cable to the mounting bracket and connect to the throttle body lever while holding lever in the wide-open position
    • Purge hose to the throttle body
    • Reconnect the air tube to the air cleaner and the throttle body
    • Negative battery cable
  • Change the engine oil and oil filter.
  • Fill the cooling system. Run the vehicle with the radiator cap removed until the thermostat opens, adding coolant as required. Watch for fuel and coolant leaks and for correct engine operation.
  • Once the vehicle has cooled, recheck the coolant level and add, if necessary.
  • graphic

Vacuum diagram to make sure your lines are run correctly:

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    How long is the flat rate time for this repair and how much should it cost to fix ?
    Thanks
    Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, my labor guide software crashed. I believe its around 3-3.5 hours to replace the upper intake plenum. You would be looking at between $280-350 parts and labor depending upon your local hourly labor rates.