FixItMan, Master Technician

2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS: oxygen sensor..complete foot

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata GLS and just had an oxygen sensor and spark plugs replaced. Now, it takes about 10 seconds for the engine to turn over when I try to start it. Its also cutting off on me when I come to a complete stop unless I hold the brake all the way down and keep my foot on the gas. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to stop it?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer did this just start after the work was done?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It did. The CEL would come on and go off without notice. My car was hard to start the right after the O2 sensor was replaced, but I thought it was because I had left it sitting over the weekend. Now its a daily routine with trying to start it. The car cutting off just started today. Its been about 3 weeks since I had the part replaced.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
Was the spark plugs replaced at the same time?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The spark plugs were replaced a few weeks earlier. It all started when I took my car in for emissions. At first they said there was a cylinder misfire. I had the spark plugs changed out and some wiring was replaced. I took it back to emissions and was then told it was the oxygen sensor that was bad. I had that replaced and now I have all of these new problems.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
This sounds like either a fuel system problem or a problem with the throttle body being dirty. If the throttle body is dirty then the vehicle should start easier with the gas pedal pressed. If it still does not start easier then it may be a clogged fuel filter. This is not related to the oxygen sensor, but can happen if the wrong spark plugs were installed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
For the past few weeks, we've had a gas shortage here in Georgia. Is this something dirty gas could have caused?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
It is very possible that you got dirty gas. This can cause a lot of problems.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would it do me any good to just use a fuel injector cleaner for the moment and not change my fuel filter until the gas supply builds back up? I'm afraid of changing the filter and then getting a bad tank of gas again.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
If the fuel filter is clogged then injector cleaner will not help. I would clean out the throttle body though. Do you happen to know what the brand and part number of the spark plugs that were used is?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure. My husband replaced them, but he used the specs from my car when he bought them. How do I clean out the throttle body?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
You remove the air intake tube from the engine. When you do then you clean out the throttle body and clean off the throttle plate with throttle body cleaner.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok. Thanks so much.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 8 years ago.
No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.