jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

1998 Olds Intrigue: temp sensor..that controls the cooling fans..hose

Customer Question

1998 Olds Intrigue. Where is the temp sensor that controls the cooling fans? I saw in another site that it is located near the upper cooloin hose, but I have failed to see or locate it. Could someone be more specific about it's whereabouts?
Category: Car
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 5 years ago.
<p>GreetingsCustomer</p><p> </p><p>   Try the rear side of the radiator approx 1/3 down from the top...also make sure that you have good coolant flow and that the radiator is the same temp in all areas , especially by switch...poor or limited flow through the radiator will cause this problem due to the fact that the switch doesn't get hot enough to close...If I can be of further assistance please let me know...jeffrey590</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I still haven't found a sensor. I saw in another answer that it would possibly be the engin coolent sensor, but I still need to locate it. Can you be more specific about the location? Thanks

Steve
If its not in the radiator tank then it is near the thermostat housing...my book calls for either location depending on vehicle RPO...It is seperate from the ECT that you were told about...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jeffery590,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I really got busy on other committed items keeping me from working on the car until now. Your answer confirmed that the temp sensor is located on the lower side of the thermostat housing and it appears to be working well since I’m getting a reading on the interior gauge. But I continue to have overheating problems and the cooling fans do not respond. The fuses appear to be good leaving me with only one other possibility that I can think of, and that’s the relay(s) unless you can supply another possibility to check. Is there a quick test of the relay before I acquire a new one?

Customer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now I have acquired a new relay and installed it with no change and I also acquired a temp sensor/sender that I will install tomorrow. The interior radiator fluid light is on too for which I will top off the fluid. After thazt I just don't know.
Customer
You need to check the coolant flow through the system and make sure the switch is getting hot enough to activate...If the coolant isnt circulating correctly then the system temperature will be different at certain locations and may cause the fans not to activate...also check the fans for +12volts and ground to make sure they are being energised and also make sure the fans work by jumping out the fans and even jumping out the switch...jeffrey590