Rexcars27
Rexcars27, Service and Parts Director
Experience:  26 years in the automotive service and parts industry
12096013

1992 olds bravada: 6 cyl , oil pressure drops..overheats..oil changed

Customer Question

1992 olds bravada 6 cyl , oil pressure drops when engine warms up (not overheats!) drop is substantial. I had the oil changed and a new filter installed
Category: Car
Expert:  Rexcars27 replied 8 years ago.

Hi Jack, is this a new problem that occurred after the oil was changed? And how many miles are on the vehicle?

Rex

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a new problem. the engine has 214000 miles on it with no history of excessive oil consumption
Expert:  Rexcars27 replied 8 years ago.

To clarify, did this occur after the oil and filter was changed? This is important as they may have put the wrong filter on or the incorrect oil.

Rex

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No. it occurred before I changed the oil and filter. The service wasn't due but when i noticed the low pressure I had it done immediately
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i did reply!
Expert:  Rexcars27 replied 8 years ago.

Jack, sorry I did not refresh my screen and sent my question too early.

On an engine with this mileage, a sudden drop in oil pressure while warm would indicate a worn mechanical component(s), such as bearings or the oil pump. I suggest two things-confirm the oil pressure drop with a pressure gauge hooked up to the engine. This will confirm you findings and rule out a faulty dash gauge and sending unit. Next, I would run a heavier weight oil, such as a 10w-40 or even a 20w-50. You may also use an additive with your current oil that may help, such at STP.

Rex

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
forget it! After 3 questions with nothing but further questions. then an apology stating that you guys made a mistake in replying too early???. Just forget it, I don't need to waste time especially when I finally get AN ANSWER that is no answer just states the obvious.

PLEASE ! NO MORE COMMUNICATION!
Expert:  Rexcars27 replied 8 years ago.

Jack, sorry I offended you by being polite. You have to expect that we will ask clarifiying questions in order to help you with your problem. If you knew the engine was worn, what else were you expecting??

Rex