Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2001 grand am: the security light..wont start..wont turn..getting gas

Customer Question

We went on vacation for a week and when we came home our 2001 grand am will not start. I tried the passlock reset and the security light is not on but still wont start. it turns but wont turn over cause its not getting gas.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.

Listen back by the fuel tank while someone cycles the key on and off, can you here a buzz noise from the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes i can here the buzzing sound
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a second key you can try? The security system may be faulted on that key.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no only one key
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
The only other thing you might try is to disconnect and reconnect the battery after 1 minute. This should reboot the system and possibly get it to start. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll need to get it in to a shop for diagnosis.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that did nor work either so i broke down and put in a new fuel pump. That was the problem all along. that was my original diagnosis but i didnt want to do it. thanks for the help though.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 8 years ago.
Hmm, surprised it would still make noise if it was bad, glad you got her fixed.