John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

97 malibu: resistance..I accelerate, the power..pushing..pedal

I have a 97 malibu, 2.6L that has recently started acting up. More noticeable at higher speeds, as I am driving it feels almost as if the car is fighting resistance to maintain speed. When I accelerate, the power and instant reaction to pushing the pedal is not there. The car does accelerate though. It's almost like driving into a strong head wind because while maintaining a speed, you feel the car lurching subtely
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I would start with a class 2 scan tool & scan the vehicles powertrain control computer .This might turn up a failure code or you may need to drive the vehicle with the tool connected & a another person looking at the data while you duplicate the situation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have one of those. Can it be simple like a fuel filter or a vacuum hose or something?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
You can do a visual inspection to check for vacuum line & replace the fuel filter & see if this helps you.A lean condition (restricted) could cause a problem as you describe.