John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience

Kia Sedona: front wheel..lifter..Its a hollow sounding knock

My wife's 2005 (built 12/04) Kia Sedona has a knock coming from the "front" of the engine under the black plastic shroud near the passenger side front wheel. It is closer to the front of the car - I think it's coming from a belt, but it sounds like a single lifter. It's a hollow sounding knock. Is this an issue with the timing belt, something related to the belt, or could it be a vavle?

A knock comming from that area could be an engine belt,a timing belt tensioner,water pump bearings,crankshaft balancer,or possibly an excessive valve clearance problem.The first place to start is to remove the engine belts,start & run engine for short time & see if the noise goes away or changes.If not further inspection & disassembly will be required .

a quick way to possibly find the component at fault is to use a long(36 to 40 inches) screw driver or rod & with engine running use the tool like a stethoscope.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are any of these issues serious enough so that I should not drive the van unitl I fix it? I'm only wondering because if it can wait to the weekend it would be better for me.
I would like to tell you yes it is ok ,but without knowing exactly what the problem is, That really puts me at a disadvantage.I can only tell you to operate it with caution(temperature change,oil pressure change,increase in noise).