Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION

2003 Cadillac: unlock..key fob..the driver side door lock

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. The back doors do not unlock or lock using the key fob or the manual switch on the driver's side door. The passenger side door lock and the driver side door lock are starting to exhibit the same problem. How do I get this back in synch without having to go to the dealership?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I just put down a $5 deposit. Now can I please get some help?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
I understand your frustration and no one really wants to pay to go to the dealer. The key here is accessing the correct equipment to actually work on this car. See there is actually a control module in each door of your car that operates features such as the door locks, power windows, and power mirrors. This is not something you can just test wires to diagnose. These modules communicate via a class 2 signal much as a usb port on your computer. Basically what you need to do is gain access to a gm tech 2 scan tool to verify that there are no body failure codes and also to check parameters within the door lock system to see what each module is doing vs the actual actuator operation. I can tell you how to test this for faulty actuator, but beyond this you are going to need the scan tool. Keep in mind that not just dealers have this tool. Alot of your more better repair centers have this type of scan tool. The key is the gm tech 2 scan tool. This is the tool needed to properly diagnose this problem. Let me know, if you would like, I can get you details on how to access the door lock actuators and also how to test them. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth. I have seen your question floating around here and I figured I would advise you on what needs to be done to diagnose this problem.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Carhelp4uhere:

Although your answer was not what I wanted to hear, since you took the time to reply to my email I am accepting it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

Thanks anyway,

Customer/p>
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
I understand your feelings here. The dealer can get expensive, but I have to admit that this car is extremely hard to diagnose without the proper tools. If there was another way, i would be happy to assist you with that. As I stated, I can assist you in checking for faulty actuators, but if they are not getting voltage to operate them you are going to need the scan tool.