Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

97 cutlass supreme: im driving..rpm..it isnt getting fuel..gas pedal

Customer Question

I have a 97 cutlass supreme that seems to lose power while I'm driving. Sometimes the RPM's will just drop off and it seems like it isn't getting fuel. Sometimes there's little response to the gas pedal unless I really depress it. Sometimes it seems to run fine. I don't really know much about cars so I have no clue what to even try.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
If you have already changed the fuel filter then a fuel pressure test would be a good idea, since the pump may be going bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm just curious how much a new fuel filter would cost and how long it would take to replace? I'm kind of low on money right now and just curious. Also, is it something I could do myself?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.
A fuel filter is less than 10.00 and is fairly easy to replace with a couple of wrenches. It is located under the car on the driver's side, back by the fuel tank along the frame rail.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I meant to say fuel pump. How much does one cost and how difficult would it be to replace?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 years ago.

A pump and strainer from Autozone are about $90.00 and you need to drop the fuel tank to put the pump in.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the fuel tank, using a hand-operated pump device to drain as much fuel through the filler tube as possible.

Click image to see an enlarged viewView of fuel tank mounting Click image to see an enlarged viewThe fuel filler pipe is attached to the body with a bracket and retaining bolt Click image to see an enlarged viewThe fuel filler pipe is attach to the tank by a hose clamp

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Unfasten the muffler hanger bolts.
  3. Remove the rubber exhaust hangers, then allow the exhaust system to rest on the rear axle.
  4. Disconnect the hoses from the fuel tank sender. Grasp the filter and one nylon fuel connection line fitting. Twist the quick-connect fitting 1/4 turn in each direction to loosen any dirt within the fitting. Repeat for the other fitting. Using compressed air, blow out the dirt from the quick-connect fittings at the end of the fuel filter.
  5. Detach the quick-connect fittings by pulling the release tabs back on the fuel line quick connector and pulling apart.
  6. Disconnect the hoses at the tank from the filler, vent and vapor pipes.
  7. With the help of an assistant, support the fuel tank, then disconnect the two tank retaining straps and carefully lower the tank.
  8. Detach the fuel sender electrical connector.
  9. Unplug the fuel pressure sensor connector.
  10. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.

To install:

1. If the tank is being replaced, perform the following:
    1. Remove the sound insulators.
    2. Remove the modular fuel pump/sender assembly, as outlined earlier in this section.
    3. Inspect all connectors for dirt and burrs. Clean or replace, as required. Inspect the fuel line O-rings for cuts, nicks, swelling and/or distortion and replace as necessary.
    4. Install the fuel sender assembly to the new tank, as outlined earlier in this section.
    5. Install the sound insulators.
  2. With the help of an assistant, raise the fuel tank to the vehicle and attach the fuel sender connector and, if equipped, the fuel pressure sensor connector.
  3. Raise the fuel tank into position then fasten the retaining straps. Tighten the retaining bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
  4. Connect the hoses to the filler, vent and vapor pipes.
  5. Attach the nylon fuel feed and return connecting line quick-connect fittings to the fuel sender, as follows:
    1. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male connector tube ends.
    2. Push the connectors together to cause the retaining tabs/fingers to snap into place.
    3. Once installed, pull on both ends of each connection to be sure they are secure.
  6. Install the rubber exhaust hangers.
  7. Install the muffler hanger bolts, then tighten to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
  8. Attach the fuel tank sender electrical connector.
  9. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  10. Refill the fuel tank, then connect the negative battery cable.
  11. Turn the ignition to the ON position for two seconds, then turn it to the OFF position for ten seconds. Turn again to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.