John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience

96 Olds Cutlass Supreme: 3.4L..DOHC..It has 244,000 miles on it

I have a '96 Olds Cutlass Supreme w/the 3.4L DOHC engine. It has 244,000 miles on it. Twice in the past 3 months it has studdered (missed badly) and stopped during hot weather (~ 90 degrees). Once it stops, I cannot start it again. It just cranks and cranks w/o firing. Both times, I let it sit for about 1-2 hours and it started right up w/no problems.
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

This problem is usually caused by a faulty ignition module,crankshaft sensor,or PCM(powertrain control module).The correct to track the problem is an engine scan with a scan tool that has all data parameters of the PCM.This also needs to be done when the problem is at hand for correct diagnosis.A scan of the engine data & failure might turn up some failure codes that are in memory from a past event that will help.I have worked on many of these vehicles & since your vehicle is high mileage I suggest a timing belt replacement (if it has not been done in the last 50,000) to stay on top of maintence.