Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

No interior, lights the trunk wont open..battery replaced

Customer Question

I just walked out to go shopping and I tried to start my car and it didn't quite start when I turned the key, but the second time I tried to turn the key there was no power to the car at all. No interior, lights the trunk won't open. It just had it's battery replaced about 6 monthes ago. It is a 1985 Chysler 5th Avenue.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like a voltage loss at the battery for sure. A couple of possibilites are the battery cable connections are poor, or the alternator is not charging the battery.

Can you get a jump start?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just had the battery, the voltage regulator, and the alternator as well as the connectors to the battery replaced about 6 monthes ago. Is there something that you could think of that could be wearing them out so fast?

No there is no one around to jump me at that moment.

Thank you,

Unfortunatly electrical components can fail at any time, its not necassarilly due to anything causing it to happen. Most of the time its just a defective unit that was installed. Try to get it jump started then take it to any parts store and they will check the charging system for free and confirm this. Also try to avoid the "bargin" parts stores for electrical parts. There is so much competion among them that they try to buy from the cheapest supplier and the end result is an inferior part.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in all honesty I buy my parts from canadian tire b/c I have had the same car (3 versions of it) for the last 5 years (all grey fifth avenue ranging from 1983-86) and I have never had this problem before. My father usually does the work for me but the last time I just had Canadian tire do it for me because he was busy.

Any electrical part can fail at any time for no obvious reason. You will have to either charge the existing battery, or at least jump start it so it can be tested. If you have another vehicle, you can take the battery out of to get it started so you can get it to a shop or parts store to have it tested, that would be the first thing to do.

Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience: 35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

*sigh* I am starting to hate this car!

thank you for everything. I was really hoping it wasn't going to be this again, I think I will go out and battery charger so that I can charge it myself. But first it is off to the shop.

Thanks for the accept!

I agree, try to charge it for a couple hours to get enough charge in it so you can make it to the shop.

I really do wish you the best!