Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My car starts but dies. It will not idle at all, even if I

My car starts but dies. It will not idle at all, even if I try to give it gas it still dies. I have a 2000 silverado LTXXXXX Any ideas on what could be causing it?

There are a few things that can be tested. One of the most efficient tests is the computer scan. Your computer should have stored codes in it as long as the problem is emissions related. When the engine is not running right, it will produce excessive emissions. So chances are, just by pulling codes, this should lead us in the right direction. Your local auto parts store might do this for free for you.

If there are no codes, you can do individual tests to pinpoint your problem.

I would rec to check fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! You can get a fuel pressure gauge at a local auto parts store for cheap.

You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a friend who said that it could be a module connected to the security system that has the computer shut off the fuel pump right away. Do you know about that? And will that show up on a code scan?
The only way it would show up when you scan the computer for codes,is if the correct module was scanned and there was something wrong with the security system like an electrical problem. The computer would then pick up on this and set a code.

Are there any security lights flashing on the dash?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No lights flashing. Every thing looks fine but it just won't run. As soon as you let of the ignition key it dies.
If you turn the key to the on position, does the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just went and checked and the service engine soon light is on. I tried to crank it and this time it started and idoled. I do smell some emission now though. If I scan it now could that tell me what is going wrong?
That will not tell you exactly what is wrong, but it will point us in the right direction.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your help. I will try scaning and see what happens. thanks again for all your help.
NO problem!

LEt me know what happens!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.