ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance

mitsubishi montero: 1997 3.5 recently replaced..gaskets..cant find

I own a mitsubishi montero 1997 3.5 recently replaced intake manifuld gaskets water leaking from back of manifuld found that the intake only has two water holes in the front where it mates to the head but the head has four holes front and back i cant find any infirmation on this . is the way it is supposed to be?
Category: Car
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Yes, this is the design of the intake/ heads on this motor. This design is used in most V6s and V8s. They are called "blind" coolant passages. They are not designed to go anywhere. It is just easier to cast the heads with this passage here. This tends to be the place where most intake manifold gaskets leak. Just make sure that you are using the correct torque specification/ sequence when reinstalling the manifold.

Let me know if you have any more questions!