Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

97 chevy blazer: running fine..Linkage..Fluid level..hooked

Just replaced engine, up and running fine now but the transmission will not go into gear. Did not remove transmission.
97 chevy blazer
Linkage is moving
Fluid level is full
Vacuum line is hooked up
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 5 years ago.

Are you SURE you got the torque convertor bolted up to the flexplate/flywheel?

It may seem like a silly question, but you wouldnt believe how many times i have seen this happen.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He assures me that it is. I am about at my ropes end!!!!

OK,,,,,,,,,

Lets get down to basics,,,if the trans was working fine before the engine was replaced, AND the convertor for sure is bolted, the fluid is full and the linkage is moving,,about all thats left is an internal issue inside the transmission. This just doesnt make any sense.

If you would like, i will opt out and see if another expert can pull something out of his hat :-)

Let me check into another angle for you.

There is a possibility that there could be a blown fuse, or a disconnected/faulty TPS switch (throttle position sensor) Check them both and let me know...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thank you so much

Let me know what you find please...I forgot to send you these diagrams.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, will do.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did some checking here is what I found.

Torque convertor IS bolted on and turning.
All vacuum lines are hooked up (traced to make sure).
All wiring is attached (was never disconnected)
Linkage is hooked up and moving (disconnected and tried to manually shift into gear and nothing)
TPS seems to be working (removed and started engine moved sensor and motor started to choke)
Pulled fuse looked fine replaced anyway.
When in park rocking truck transmission is locked and will not roll you put it in any gear and it will roll.

Torque converter was never removed from transmission when we pulled the motor.

Well,,,,,it looks like we have went as far as we can without the use of a scan tool to read diagnostic codes that will be stored in the computer. The scan tool is not the same as a "code reader" it gets into measuring applied voltages and line pressure activation. Sorry but i'll opt out and see if anyone else can perform a miracle. Best of luck my friend!

Here is a list of possible codes that will come up with the scan tool.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for all your help. Do we go ahead and pay now since you are opting out? I have never done this before so I am not sure how this works. I would like for you to get paid for your time and responses.

Thank you very much!

You can click on the accept button.

Thanks for asking!

Best of luck my friend!

Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience: 35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic