Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

2004 hyundai sonata: crank sensor..a bad pcm? tested voltage..12v

Customer Question

2004 hyundai sonata 2.4 dohc started to miss while driving and then died and wont restart. no spark to plugs so replaced crank sensor and still no spark. could this be a bad pcm? tested voltage at crank sensor plug and has 12v and 5v and ground is good. help the scan tool had p0335 and a manufactures code that we could not see.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
It's possible the timing belt itself broke, This isn't too uncommon with this code.
The way it just died on you.... I wouln't guess too far from this. (belt damaging CKP)
Check the CKP & Test wirings, then look at the belt.

1. Unplug the CKP sensor and turn the key ON and check for 5.0 volt reference on the Blue wire.

2. If no 5.0 volt reference to the CKP sensor, check for 5.0 volt reference to the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor on the Orange wire with the CMP sensor unplugged and key ON.

3. Check the Blue wire at the CKP sensor for being open or grounded in the harness.

4. Check Engine Control Module (ECM) powers and grounds as necessary.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have already replace timing belt and crank sensor. the belt had a few missing teeth.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also have 12v to cam sensor unpluged at orange wire and 9.17v to crank sensor at blue wire.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i rechecked the cam sensor and i have 12v to orange wire and 5v to one of two black wires and the oter black wire is 0v.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will it not spark if the cam sensor is bad?
Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
Did you install the CKP correctly? An incorrect install will throw off the reluctor wheel.
Also there are several reports of bad CKP. I would try a new one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could there be some kind of short and how to check?
Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
Honestly I think you have a bad sensor. Very common with this vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the problem found was that the signal wire from where the crank sensor is pluged to the pcm was shorted. i buy passed it with a new wire and the car started up. i did not dig up the old wire so thats why i ran a new one and it worked. thank god it wasn't a 1200.00 pcm. i thank you for trying for all your help.