Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

NewUserQuestion

Customer Question

NewUserQuestion
Category: Car
Expert:  Michael L........JA Internet Expert replied 8 years ago.
Hi, Can you tell me more please?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Mike, here is the story, on my way to lunch the car shut down while driving. On throuble shooting, found that I was'nt getting no gas, change the fuel pump and still no gas to the throttle body. I checked for power at the fuel pump, no power. Check the relay it has 12 volts with key in on position. check wire from fuel pump, back to relay and no shorts. I put power directly to the pump and it comes on, also replace the relay. Why is the pump not comming on when the motor is turning over. Thanks for all you help in this matter.
Ok, This is a car question, I have moved it into the right area, and we can see if we can get a car expert to help you out... Thanks
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell us the year, make, model and engine size of the vehicle you are working with? Do you have access to a fuel pressure tester and a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The year 1987, the make Jaguar, The model XJ6, engine size 4.2L in line 6. and I don't have axcess to a fuel pump tester, but I do have a voltmeter. You are the 4th person on this problem, am I stumping the car experts? I will patiencly wait your reply, please give me something to work on. Thanks in advance for all your help in this matter.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.

I understand your frustration. By the sounds of things, you have already done some testing. It sounds like you have voltage coming out of the fuel pump relay, but not making it back to the fuel pump. This could be due to a failure with the fuel pump cut off switch. This is located at the right hand front door pillar. Sorry no illustration for this one. Here is a wiring schematic of items that are involved in you fuel system. I also would like you to verify that you are testing the fuel pump relay as there are three involved from what I can see.

graphic

I must say that I am not a Jaguar tech, but there are some simple wiring items that we need to look at here. Feel free to contact me with any findings or questions! Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi there give me a few days to chek things out. I'll let you know something by Wednesday. I'll accept now and give feedback by wednesday, I hope this works. Thanks in advance for the information.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Take your time! Let me know if there is any more that I can do for you.
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi there, We had rain here in Charlotte,N.C the last two days so no work on the car. I don't have a garage, the car is in the driveway. I'll get back to you some time next week.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Michael, Its been a while, but here is where things are now. I replace all the relays I could find related to the fuel pump and the ignition system. I used a noide light on the injectors and using a remote starter, crank the engine with the key in the on position and got no pulse from the injestors. My guest is what ever turns on the fuel pump also turns on the injectors. If I had to make a machanics guest I would say electrical short. Whats you take on the matter. I'll take a look at your diagrahms. Get back to me at your earliest convience. Thanks in advance for all your help in this matter.