Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer
12136997

Check engine light come on, checked oil was low..smell..dipstick

had check engine light come on, checked oil was low. added oil checked again now has smell of gas on dipstick
Category: Car
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

My name isXXXXX to JustAnswer

Currently your question is displaying without any details... In order to help you, we need to know what model year, make and model car you are asking about. Addtionally, engine type (4, 6 or 8 cylinder) , whether it has an automatic or manual transmission, and current mileage

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

6 cylinder engine with automatic transmission 85,000 miles

Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to bother you with further questions, but in order to give you the best possible answer I need to know what model of Hyundai you have.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
elantra
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Thanks... please give me a moment to research this item. I have a good idea of what is wrong but I want to confirm some details for this model year before I pass this information on to you.

You should not continue to drive this car with oil that has been heavily contaminated with gasoline..

I will be back to you in about 10 - 15 minutes. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, will wait
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hi again.

I need to confirm some details

2005 HYUNDAI ELANTRA

You have indicated that your vehicle is equipped with a 6 cylinder engine... Hyundai service information does not list a 6cylinder engine for this platform.. Are you sure you don't have a 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine? If you are unsure, give the vin number.

Glenn.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry Glenn, you are correct 2.0 litre 4 cylinder
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Ok, thank you.

Here is my answer.

Some earlier model fuel systems used a fuel pressure regulator that was mounted on the fuel rail. This type of regulator could develop a problem that would allow gasoline to run into the vacuum hose attached to it and this would "flood" the engine. Your car is equipped with a newer design "mechanical returnless fuel system" . YOUR VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE THIS TYPE OF REGULATOR. Your fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel tank, connected to the fuel pump. It might be malfunctioning and causing excessively high fuel pressures.

The check engine light is indicating that the computer has detected a problem. A code will be stored and can be retrieved using a code reader.

Suspects in this case ? Excessively high fuel pressure, leaking fuel injector, fuel management system fault.

I would start with reading the codes to get a better indication of what the cause of this problem is.

You need to get this looked into as soon as possible. I am concerned about the reported condion of the engine oil. Fuel diluted engine oil does not do a good job of protecting engine components from excessive wear.

I am sorry but I cannot be more specific than this without knowing what code has stored.

If you feel that any of the suggestions made were at all helpful , it is appropriate to hit the ACCEPT button now. This does not prevent you from asking further questions on this issue. Bookmark this page so you can return and ask followup questions without making an additional deposit. It does, however, motivate your expert to continue offering help to you and other clients using JustAnswer. None of our experts are compensated until an ACCEPT is issued. Thankyou

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer