Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2003 Buick Rendezvous CXL: my service engine soon light cam on..hood

Customer Question

I turned my 2003 Buick Rendezvous CXL car on today to get to work and then my service engine soon light cam on. I took it to an auto skills shop and the trouble code they came up with P0440. He also found huge rock in the hood of my car. Also he said that he checked my gas cap and he was able to just pull it out. It wasn't closed. Can you give me some advice as to what the problem may be. It only has 41,000miles on it and it was last serviced in 06. It got an oil change in March 08 and I'm about to get one today.
Submitted: 8 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 8 years ago.
If the gas cap was loose enough to just pull it off then it was likely the problem. The evaporative emissions checks the system for leaks and if the gas cap was loose it detected a large leak so it made the light come on. You should always be sure to tighten the gas cap and be sure to not fill the tank with the engine running.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the mechanic said that he was able to just pull the cap off. He didn't have to screw it off. So what ur saying this could be the problem?
Expert:  Daryl replied 8 years ago.
Yes it is likely the problem, I have seen this many times.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, thank you so much. so with the year of the car and milleage, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the last time it was services was in 2006?
Expert:  Daryl replied 8 years ago.

That info would not matter with the code you gave. That is specific to a large leak in the evap system(fuel cap loose)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, thanks alot you have been very helpful.
Expert:  Daryl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you.