Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2004 subaru forester: 93,000 miles..timing belt seemed

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Subaru Forrester with 93,000 miles on it. Just had the timing belt changed 2 weeks ago. Coming to work this morning, I heard no noise, but when I went to stop the car at a red light, the car seemed to "bounce". It was like the car was going to stall out. It happened twice. Never ever had this problem before.
Category: Car
Expert:  MIKEVIN_BEGGS replied 8 years ago.

Hello, my name is Kevin.

NOTE : We are here to help you.

Please help us by providing the vehicle information (Year, Make, Model, & Engine size) & State or Country & Province.

Please be as descriptive as possible about your concern. Every little bit of information helps.

What do you mean by bounced? did it act like a hick up or did it actually die & come back to life?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

2004 subaru forrester turbo 2.5 XS

It bounced, like I was moving up and down. And it kept bouncing until I started moving again. It did not stall out, but I felt like it was going to. And it only happened when I stopped for a red light, twice. The engine made no extra or strange noise, the car just bounced. The roads were wet, as it rained last night.

Hello, my name is Kevin.

When you are satisfied with my answer, Please click ACCEPT. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Wow, that is odd.

A very common error when replacing the timing belt, is to damage the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors.

Did the check engine light come on at all?

Did the engine rpm's fluctuate?

Did you hear a clunking noise hen the vehicle was bouncing (up & down like some one was jumping on the hood?) ?

Did it go away on acceleration?

When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you press the accept key. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, thanks & good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No changes within car, no additional engine lights came on, rpm's did not move around, no additional noises at all. And it quit bouncing as soon as I accelerated. Since it happened twice, that is what concerns me.

unfortunately this is going to take some time & driving on your part.

drivability issues are difficult.

you need to take into account all conditions at the time the concern occurs.

1. Look to the instrument cluster. ( you said that there were no warning lights or gages fluctuating)

2. Listen to the engine ( you said that there was no odd noise & the rpms did not fluctuate, but the engine tried to stall)

3. What are the outside conditions ( you said it was raining ) Was it very windy & if so, what was the wind direction ( this is odd, but it can make a difference )

It is possible that the cams are off by a tooth, but you would have a light on.

I suggest taking it back the the shop where the work was performed & have them check it out with the scanner.

Do not accept this answer until you have done the above & reported back with further info.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Morning Kevin

I took the car to the dealer and they found nothing wrong. And nothing happened driving it up to the dealer. But it happened again this morning coming to work. My next step is to leave the car with the dealer overnight and have them drive it in the early morning. Thank you very much for advise, as I did have the dealer check out your ideas. Thanks again.

Best of luck

Let me know what happens