Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
10415458

Montero Sport: the 3.5 and it has a tick in the top end..lifters

I own a 01 Montero Sport with the 3.5 and it has a tick in the top end. Took it to the dealer and they said it is the lifters. They say it needs new shims. Can these things be manually adjusted
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

The lifters in this are similar to a solid lift were as they need to be manually adjusted, but use shims to do this. There is a long mathmatical proceedure for this and I do recommend having this done by some one with experience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What kind of price range could I be looking at? Also how far does the engine need to be torn down to to do this job. The dealer told me 1000 and up. Is this true?
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

The procedure is time consuming, the heads are not removed but the timing belt is and the cams will need to come out. The price the dealer said is close with parts(seals and gaskets and shims). An oil change should be done at the same time when it is done. Most likely the shims will need to be ordered because most parts dept. don`t stock these, although they may. If it is close to time to replace the timing belt then this is the time to do it because it has to come off and there will be no additional labor.This is also a good time to do the spark plugs because they are in there.

Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician