sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2006 chrysler 300: 3.5L..p300..Multiple cylinder miss fire

Customer Question

2006 chrysler 300 3.5L Error Code P0300 Multiple cylinder miss fire. Dealer said plugs, wires, etc. ok That they don't know what it could be other then internal? Any ideas before it becomes a long process of elemination? Intermittent driving symptons are: Warm engine 40-60mph engine feels like its running out of gas for a split second. Feels like it wants to die and engine light blinks for a minute and then all is back to normal? Is this an emergency fix? Money Times are tuff right now.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. This is a problem with carbon buildup on the exhaust valves. The valves do not rotate proplerly, and then the carbon builds up and they cannot seal. The fix is to remove both valve covers, and replace the valve spring keepers on each exhaust valve. The revised keepers allow the valves to rotate properly. While the valve spring is off, the valve is rotated manually by hand and reposititioned. After the new keepers are in and the engine is back together, a fuel system cleaner is run through the fuel rail to break up carbon, and then the car is driven aggresively to clean out the carbon and rotate the valves and let them seat.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

About how much are the parts and labor at the Chrysler dealership? 63k miles What's the worse that can happen if I continue to drive it? Will it die and leave me stranded? Can I get away with a strong fuel system cleaner for now? Thank you,

I doubt it will ever get bad enough to leave you stranded. A strong fuel system cleaner is a great idea, every tank would help even more. I would estimate it would be around $5-600 for this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you! Last ? Do you recommend a Fuel system cleaner?
I really don't know much about the commercially available stuff to tell you the truth. The stuff I use is concentrated and goes right into the fuel rail or in the intake and gives decent results, so I don't use the over the counter stuff, on prescription! The cheap stuff won't do anything. Get something that's more expensive. You wan't something that says cleaner, make sure you don't get octane boost or something like that, because it won't help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can I take off the air intake and spray some kinda carb cleaner down the intake or throttle body while keeping the engine between 2500-3500 rpm and hopefully loosen up some of the carbons
Kind of. If this is something you want to try, go to the dealer's parts department and pick up a can of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner. It runs five or six dollars a can. You don't want to spray this into your throttle body-you'll ruin it. Pull a small vacuum line off. Pulling a line will raise idle speed, so pick a smaller one. Start the engine and sray the whole can it, shut the engine off as soon as the can is empty. Don't raise the rpms while doing this. Once the can is empty and the engine is off, shut the hood and let it sit for a good hour. This will start to dissolve the carbon. After it sits, take it out for a drive and beat on it. The higher the rpm the more carbon will break up, and the more the valves will rotate. You won't beleive how much it will smoke.