Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
4976144

2004 grand prix starts but then dies. Even give it gas to help

Customer Question

2004 grand prix starts but then dies. Even give it gas to help but stills dies. car has about 77,000 miles. Has been maintained.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Is the security or check engine light illuminated at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no engine light
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
What about theft or security lamp as it sounds like a theft issue?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
#05-06-04-037: Certain Instrument Panel Gauges Go to Zero and/or Intermittent Engine Stall (Repair Ground Connections and/or Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM)) - (May 26, 2005)

Subject:Certain Instrument Panel Gauges Go To Zero and/or Intermittent Engine Stall (Repair Ground Connections and/or Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM))

Models:2005 Buick Allure (Canada), LaCrosse
2004-2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
with 3.8L V6 Engine (VIN 2 - RPO L26)

Condition

Some owners may comment that the fuel and the temperature gauge in the instrument panel intermittently go to zero while the speedometer and tachometer continue to operate normally. In addition, some may comment that the low fuel indicator is displayed in the Driver Information Center (DIC) when this occurs. In a small portion of these cases, the gauges going to zero may be followed by an engine hesitation or stall.

Cause

Intermittent high resistance or connection of the negative battery cable to the top of the right side frame rail may cause the I/P gauges to intermittently go to zero.

The intermittent stall condition may be caused by the following:

An internal calculation in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when determining barometric values under certain engine loads. When this occurs, the engine can take several minutes to restart.
Intermittent high resistance or connection of the negative battery cable to the top of the right side frame rail.

Correction

I/P Gauges Intermittently Go To Zero Condition

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Remove the bolt (1) attaching the negative battery cable to the top of the frame rail.
  2. Remove any corrosion from the cable end, the bolt and the top of the frame rail where the attachment is made.
  3. Apply dielectric grease, P/N 12377900 (in Canada, P/N 10953529), to the cable end and frame rail.

Important: The bolt being tightened in the next step MUST be tightened to the torque specification listed.

4. Position the ground cable to the frame rail and install the bolt. Refer to the illustration above.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 10-12 N·m (89-106 lb in).

Intermittent Engine Stall Condition

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

2. . Remove any corrosion from the cable end, the bolt and the top of the frame rail where the attachment is made.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 10-12 N·m(89-106 lb in).

Important: For the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, there are two new calibrations available. The calibrations are based on the type of fuel tank installed in the vehicle. Vehicles that have had Corporate Service Bulletin Number 04-06-04-066 performed require a calibration for a "baffled" fuel tank. In addition, some late production 2004 models may have been built with the "baffled" tank. All others should have a "non-baffled" tank.

5. Update the PCM with a new calibration.

This calibration update corrects the barometric value to prevent intermittent engine hesitation, which may lead to engine stall. The calibration update affects 2004-2005 model year Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles with the L26 engine and 2005 model year Buick Allure/LaCrosse vehicles with the L26 engine. This calibration will be available to dealerships as part of TIS 2000 incremental satellite update 6.0 (NAO version 25.003). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

To determine which calibration is correct for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, obtain the part number of the calibration currently in the PCM using a Tech 2®. Compare that part number to that listed below and reprogram the PCM with the corresponding new calibration. For the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix and Allure/LaCrosse, the emission system determines the correct calibration.

Model Year/Model

Emissions or Fuel Tank Usage

Current PCM Calibration P/N

New PCM Calibration P/N

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Non-Baffled Fuel Tank

12600365

12603289

12588930

12603289

12584055

12603289

12582184

12603289

12575588

12603289

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

Baffled Fuel Tank

12600366

12603290

12592106

12603290

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

Federal Emission

N/A

12603342

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

California Emission

N/A

12603343

2005 Allure/La Cross

Federal Emission

N/A

12603344

2005 Allure/La Cross

California Emission

N/A

12603345

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

12377900 (US)

10953529 (Canada)

Dielectric Grease (2 oz/57 g jar)

GMSPO packaged by case of 12 jars

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience: GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I will try this tomorrow. If it works I will get back to you DAN.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and good luck.