Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  Tires Plus
10675526

I have a 2003 Saturn ION 3 and the coolant light would come

I have a 2003 Saturn ION 3 and the coolant light would come on after driving about 15 min. Took it to a Saturn dealer and they repaired the car as follows: scan for codes - none stored - unplug low coolant switch and jump connector - coolant light still on. Check for power at sensor connecter - power present. Check circuits to BCM - no good. Remove and replace BCM and program. Light still on.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

Is the coolant light still on?

Are you asking how to fix the coolant light or if the dealer's diagnostic process was accurate?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The coolant light is off now. I was wondering if the dealer's diagnostic process was accurate at a cost of $1,500.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The Visa card I used is a refund from AT&T which can be used by anyone accepting Visa and must be used as a credit card. Let me know if there is a problem.

There was an error with your transaction. Here's the error that was given by our credit card processor:

[C] Invalid response from gateway: 530.

It sounds like they followed the correct diagnostic process. I will explain the process that I would use to diagnose your issue, which should be close/identical to the process that the technician used. Please refer to the diagrams below and I will walk you through the diagnostic process step by step:

graphic

graphic

graphic

I would begin by checking the resistance across the coolant level sensor to make sure the resistance is good. If the resistance is out of range, I would replace the coolant level sensor.

Next I would check the connector pin # XXXXX (connector C3) on the BCM to see if it is recieving signal from the coolant level sensor.

If there is no signal, and the light is on, then I would continue checking the system (see next step).

If there is no signal, and the light is on, then I would test the pin #19 (connector C4) on the BCM. This wire controls signal to the instrument panel. If this wire is sending a signal, then I would replace the BCM. If not then I would continue checking the system.

Next I would check the wire going from the BCM pin # XXXXX to the cluster. If the wiring and the BCM was good, then I would replace the instrument cluster.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.