2001 chevy impala: dies..Check engine light..fuel filter, idle sensor

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chevy impala (127 thouand miles) that dies when ideling in traffic and sometimes when going 30 mph. Check engine light does not come on so no one can find the problem. I have replaced the catalytic converter and one of the O2 sensors, fuel filter, idle sensor, had the cooling system flushed. I have the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. I have used STP fule injection cleaner and have tried using the premium gas. I have been to the Dealer (bunch of idiots there) Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
The best way I can tell you to find this problem would require a class 2 scan tool. This scan tool can actually watch engine control sensors as they operate. The sensors that would be of most interest would be the crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor. Even though there are no check engine lights, these sensors can give erratic or no readings at any time causing for a stalled stated. Upon trying to restart, they may give the proper signal until the problem is once again occurs. As I stated, this would really require the use of a class 2 scan tool. This would give you the chance to examine these sensors during a test drive. If one begins to give a strange reading, or no reading, you could start really looking into that sensor further. Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would prefer a second opinion! Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Goodyear has done the class 2 scan tool scan. They replaced the crank shaft sensor in May of 2007.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.

Ok, well this does not mean that this sensor, or the camshaft position sensor has not failed at this point allowing for the problem you are having. Without doing this scan once again, you are really going to need to verify spark, and injector pulse in the stalled state. If this problem goes away as soon as you restart the engine, this will make this testing rather difficult and this is why I menationed the class 2 type scan tool . This is the only way you are going to be able to monitor what these sensors are doing while in the driving situation. Aother point yu may want to check would be fuel pressure. if the fuel pump is begining to get weak, it can cause for this type of problem. Normally with a fuel pump though, you will not get the restart right away as the pump really would need to cool before operating properly once again. As I said, you can feel free to contact me with any questions. I am basically telling you what I see in the shop more commonly. Without testing this with the scan tool you will not be able to see what in fact is going on. If you would prefer a second opinion, let me know and I will happily opt out!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, your answer is fine. I just want to know what else could be done so I will know what to tell them at the shop when I take it in. At least the guys at Goodyear will let me watch them while they are working on my car. I just thought there might be something specific that could be wrong that they were missing.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
This is where I would start, we really need to see what this engine is missing to run. These two sensors are very problematic in this model and have both caused problems just like you are specifiying. Ifthey are willing to install the scan tool and drive it until it stalls, they should be able to verify if these sensors are the fault. if there is no sensor problems, i would start testing this engine for proper furl pressure, and also spark intially. What we need to do is find a fault in one of these operations to further trouble shoot a problem like this.