FixItMan, Master Technician

My 2003 Saturn Vue will not shift out of 1st gear & slips when

My 2003 Saturn Vue will not shift out of 1st gear & slips when shifting to Reverse and Drive. I have heard alot of negative stuff about Saturn Vue transmissions. With this in mind, can this be a repairable situation? Or, is it likely to be a costly replacement?
HelloCustomer what size engine do you have? Is the vehicle 2 orXXXXX Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a 4-cylinder and I believe it is only aXXXXX The Check Engine light is on and the Reduced Power light is on.
Okay. Since these two lights are on then you will need to start by having the computer scanned for codes. You do not necessarily have a major tranny problem here. Go to your local autoparts store, such as autozone, and they will scan the computer for codes. Come back here with the codes and I can let you know what the problem is.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The local Service Tech scanned it and was given the code: P1882.
Okay. This code is set when there is a variance in speed from the transmission input and output shafts. It can be a simple sensor issue or a more complex internal problem. There are several recalls for Vue transmissions but I do not think yours falls under this problem. Yours sounds more like an internal belt issue which Saturn has a technical bulletin for as shown below. This usually requires replacement of the case cover and filter and sometimes the belt depending on the damage. Let me know if you need more help.

Bulletin No.: 04-07-30-024E

Date: June 09, 2006

No Movement in Drive or Reverse with or without DTC P0741, P0742, P0841, P1756, P1758, or P1882 (Replace Case Cover Assembly and Filter) Models:
2002 Saturn VUE - Retrofitted with a 2003 or 2004 VT25E (VTi) Transaxle (RPO M16/M75)
2003-2004 Saturn ION
2003-2005 Saturn VUE

with VT25E (VTi) Transaxle (RPO M16/M75)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-024D (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Some customers may comment on the vehicle not moving in the "D" (Drive) or "R" (Reverse) gear selection positions. In many cases, the transaxle will also produce an audible grind or whine noise when attempting to operate in drive or reverse. The Service Engine Soon (SES) telltale may be illuminated with DTCs P0741, P0742, P0841, P1756, P1758, or P1882 set.

This condition may occur when the VT25E transaxle belt has malfunctioned.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nice work. I feel more informed about the situation when I take it to my Saturn dealer.
Thanks. Let me know if you need more help.