Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer
12136997

1997 cadillac deville: water pump,thermostat,radiator and head gaskets

i have a 1997 cadillac deville and it keeps overheating and i changed the water pump,thermostat,radiator and head gaskets but still overheating but when i changed the head gaskets they didnt appear to be anything wrong with them
Category: Car
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

I'm assuming that the engine cooling fan is coming on but the engine is still overheating. If the fan is not coming on, you need to confirm that it is functioning before proceeding.

I'm guessing that it's ok at idle or light load, but its overheating under load or on the highway.

There is a known issue with the headbolt threads on this engine. Although you have torqued them, the threads start to pull out and the clamping force of the headbolts on the head decreases and you get combustion leaks to the cooling system. The only fix for this is to pull the engine apart and repair the threads (GM dealers were issued a kit for this ) or to replace the block.

You might be able to detect this leakage by removing spark plugs and putting shop air in the cylinders while watching the cooling system for bubbles. There are also combustion gas tests that can be done on this engine to confirm this leakage.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer