Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

how to change spark plugs on a 2004 kia sedona

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way - the upper intake (surge tank) has to come off in order to access the plug wires and plugs.

Removal
1.Detach the P.C.V. hose and brake booster vacuum hose.
2.Disconnect the connecting part of vacuum hose.

3.Remove the surge tank stay.

4.After reducing the pressure of fuel pipe line to prevent fuel overflow, disconnect the connecting part of the high pressure hose.

5.Remove the surge tank stay.

Once this is off, then remove ignition coils and spark plug wires. At that point, you can access and remove the spark plugs:

REMOVAL AND

INSTALLATION OF SPARK PLUG CABLE

Improper arrangement of spark plug cables will induce flashover between the cables, causing misfiring and surging at acceleration in high-speed operations.

.Disconnect the spark plug cable from the spark plug.
Pull on the spark plug cable boot when removing the spark plug cable, not the cable, as it may be damaged.
2.Using the spark plug wrench, remove all of the spark plugs from the cylinder head.
Take care not to allow contaminants to enter through the spark plug holes.

3.Check spark plugs for the following:

(1)

Broken insulator

(2)

Worn electrode

(3)

Carbon deposits

(4)

Damaged or broken gasket

(5)

Condition of the porcelain insulator at the tip of the spark plug

4.Check the spark plug gap using a wire gap gauge, and adjust if necessary.

Standard valueSpark plug gap : 1.0 - 1.1 mm (0.039 - 0.043 in.)

5.Re-insert the spark plug and tighten to the specified torque. If it is overtorqued, damage to the threaded portion of cylinder head may result.

Tightening torqueSpark plug : 20 - 30 N·m (200 - 300 kg·cm, 15-22 lb·ft)
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The bottom portion of your qustion just showed up on my side.

Yes, you want to use the better spark plugs available. Also, Because of what is involved to replace the plugs and wires, it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the wires while you have the upper intake off.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you show me a picture where and what bolts i need to take out , so the intake can come off ? it only shows the picture of the intake thank you
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The yellow highlighted are where bolts are located:

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you