Mike, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  19yrs Automotive and Bus experience. Owner/Operator/Tech of Auto repair facility

We have a 1994 Mazda B4000. For awhile now it wont start.

We have a 1994 Mazda B4000. For awhile now it won't start. Its random and never consistent other than the fact that when my fiance gets gas is usually when we know it won't start. At first it was a very rare thing that it wouldn't start and now it happens constantly which is annoying because we can't always rely on it. About a month ago we moved and would move it to load it then when we would try and start it to take it to the new house, it wouldn't start. Wait a couple hours and bingo it starts. My dad just replaced the ignition module because all his buddys had said thats probably the problem. Helped for awhile and now its back to not starting. He got gas the other night and it didn't start again. Any suggestions as to what it might be? And I'm crossing my fingers its a cheap fix :) The truck won't start right now and my dad checked and there is no spark when trying to start it.

Hello, I am going to tell you of a common issue for your symptom. The EFI relay in the main relay box under hood stops working intermittantly. Dont just change it, I'll tell you how to diagnose it easily. When the truck wont start, Turn the ignition switch to the on position and look for the check engine light in the instrument cluster, if it is lit up the EFI relay is not your issue but if it dosen't light up get a new relay.

Now for a second poissibility, If the check engine light comes on with the key on, watch what happens to the light when you start cranking the engine over, if the check engine light dose not shut off while you are cranking the engine you likely have a bad crankshaft position sensor.

I hope this helps you. Mike,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We replaced the relay and so far it runs like a charm. THank you for your help. This is the second vehicle we have used the website for and its great. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you very much again. Anna :)