Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

how do you replalce a heater core in a 1996 pontiac grand am

Customer Question

i am trying to remove the dashboard and cannot find all the connections to get it out...what do i do to get it out so i can replace the heater core?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there!Here are the instructions.It doesn't look like the dash has to come completely out.Hope this helps!Thanks
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 5

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
  3. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
  4. If necessary, remove the rear lateral transaxle strut mount.
  5. Detach the drain tube, then disconnect the heater hoses from the core tubes.
  6. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  7. Remove the console if equipped.
  8. Unfasten and remove the sound insulators, console extensions and/or steering column filler, as required.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Unfasten the sound insulator retaining bolts ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: ... then remove the sound insulator
  1. On some models it may be necessary to remove the steering column opening filler.
  2. Remove the floor or console outlet ductwork and hoses.
  3. Remove the heater core access cover.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Remove the heater core access cover
  1. Unfasten the heater core mounting clamps/bolts, then extract the heater core from the vehicle.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Unfasten the heater core retaining bolts; most later models are secured with clamps
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Remove the heater core from the vehicle
To install:
  1. Install the heater core, then secure using the clamps/bolts.
  2. Fasten the heater core cover.
  3. Connect the outlet hoses and ducts.
  4. Install the sound insulators, console extensions and/or steering column filler.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Install the drain tube and connect the heater hoses to the core tubes.
  7. If removed, install the rear lateral transaxle strut mount, if removed.
  8. Carefully lower the vehicle.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. Fill cooling system and check for leaks. Start the engine and allow to come to normal operating temperature. Recheck for leaks and check coolant level. Add if necessary.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to say this did not help me do what I needed. Thank you for your efforts to help me, though. You have a nice site.