Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

how do i replace a fuel pump in a 1996 chevy blazer

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there!The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank.Once you drop the tank there is a ring around the sending unit on the top.I usually use a screwdriver and small hammer to remove the retaining ring.Once you have the ring off the sending unit and pump.On some models the pump is seperate from the sending unit.In this case you simply seperate the parts and replace with the new pump.Here is some more info.Hope it helps!
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 5, 6 and 7

1. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable.

Be sure to keep a Class B (dry chemical) fire extinguisher nearby.

CAUTION
Due to the possibility of fire or explosion, never drain or store gasoline in an open container.
  1. Drain the fuel tank, then remove it from the vehicle. Refer to the procedure found later in this section for details.
  2. Using the GM fuel gauge sending unit retaining cam tool No. J-24187, J-36608 (or equivalent) or a brass drift and a hammer, remove the cam locking ring (fuel sending unit) by twisting counterclockwise. With the locking ring released, carefully lift the sending unit from the fuel tank.
  3. Remove the fuel pump from the fuel sending unit, by performing the following procedures:
    1. Pull the fuel pump up into the mounting tube, while pulling outward (away) from the bottom support.

When removing the fuel pump from the sending unit, be careful not to damage the rubber insulator and the strainer.

1. When the pump assembly is clear of the bottom support, pull it out of the rubber connector.
To install:
  1. Inspect the fuel pump hose and bottom sound insulator for signs of deterioration, then replace, as necessary.
  2. Push the fuel pump onto the sending tube.
  3. Using a new sending unit-to-fuel tank O-ring, carefully lower the sending unit/fuel pump assembly into the fuel tank.

When installing the sending unit, be careful not to fold or twist the fuel strainer or it may restrict the fuel flow.

1. Secure the sending unit by turning or driving the lockring clockwise and into position under the tabs.
  2. Install the fuel tank assembly to the vehicle.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable and check for proper pump operation.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: A special tool is usually available to remove or install the fuel pump locking cam
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: A brass drift and a hammer can be used to loosen the fuel pump locking cam
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Once the locking cam is released it can be removed to free the fuel pump

Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is that after the fuel tank has been droped or is thathow you drop the tank
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
That's after you drop the tank.Dropping the tank is not to bad.Once the shield is off then it is just a couple straps.Becarefull though,as you let it down disconnect the wiring harness and the fuel lines. then let it the rest of the way down.It is best to disconnect the fuel fill while the tank is still up if you can get to it.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician