Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

How do you unlock the rear door after child safety lock was

Customer Question

How do you unlock the rear door after child safety lock was partically enguaged and the door closed?
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2001 Jetta miles 125,360 regular engine for modle
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Waiting for an answer.

Let me do some research and see if I can find something.

I cannot find the information needed in the Mitchell system, So I will opt out and let an VW tech assist you. Thanks for using Just Answer and good luck.
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer I see you've got a dilemma. Since I'm coming in a little late, can you tell me how this happened?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wife was trying to use child safety door lock and failed to fully enguage it prior closing the door. Now door cann't be opened.
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

I have a Jetta at my shop, so I'm going to take a look tomorrow. I have 2 suggestions. The first is a better choice than the second, but we have to look at both possibilities. The first is to try to complete the movement of the child lock switch. I'm not sure of the exact placement form memory, so take this with a grain of salt. Take a credit card that you don't necessarily need again and insert it into the door jam around the area of the switch. See if you can slide it up or down. If you can't reach it, improvise and see if you can get a plastic item of some kind that can bend a little and get to that area. The plastic won't scratch the car. That is hope number one. The second thought is to remove the lower rear seat. Then try to remove the inner door panel. This is a horrible but necessary part of our lives sometimes. The panel was never meant to be removed with the door closed, so you can see where the challenge is. Once the panel is removed you can get to the inner workings of the latch and may be able to trigger the linkage to release the latch. These are the things I would try if your car came into my shop. I'd like to look like a hero and have the credit card work, but only time will tell.

Ivan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is no slide switch. And you cann't remove the inner panel with the door closed, without breaking it.
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.
What type of lever or switch does it have? The panel most likely will come out, it may not be perfect, and would be extremely difficult, but it should come off. The options are very few.
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.
I will get back to you tomorrow after I look at the 2 VWs I have at work. Have a good night.
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

Hello again, I have 2 VWs here, the Passat does not have child locks, however the 96 Jetta that is here does. Does yours have a slide lever on the inside of the door jamb. Not the jamb it self, but just where it raps around into the inside of the car?

Ivan