AlexGS
AlexGS, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  8 Years Experience. Electronics, Diagnostics. Assistant Manager @ All Makes Auto Service.
2858308

940 galant cranks wont start no spark

Customer Question

940 galant cranks won't start no spark
Category: Car
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

The most common problem for Galant no spark is the crankshaft position sensor. Take off the main pulley and inspect it for damage. Make sure to check the connector for corrosion. Also check the engine codes, bed crank. sensor will usually set a code.

Thanks.

Alex.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is that behind the timming belt cover
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

Yes. you would have to remove the main pulley and the cover (lower part).

Thanks.

Alex.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i cant find the sensor or anything that resembles the picture. i did find peices of a broken belt. about 1/2 inch wide has teeth for a gear like a timing belt. is there another belt up there that broke and this could be the problem?
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

Yes there are two belts. Main timing belt and a balancer belt. The balancer belt runs on two sprockets the crankshaft sprocket and the balancer shaft (left of the crankshaft pulley). The sensor is on the right side of the crankshaft sprocket. You should see a thin plate behind the crankshaft sprocket. It runs through the sensor.

Thanks.

Alex.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
could this balancer belt cause these problems? it is broken
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

If your car was made before may of 1994, it is an earlier design and the crank shaft sensor will look different.

Can you look to the left of the crankshaft sprocket and tell me if you see the balancer sprocket?

Thanks.

Alex.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>yes small geared sprocket and a sammler pulley do i need to pull off the timming belt sprocket from the crank to find the position sensor
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

You don't need to take the belt or sprocket off to change the sensor but you do need to take off the timing belt to install the balancer shaft belt. Can you tell me if your car was made after 5/1994?

Thanks.

Alex.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the sticker on the door pillar say apr 1995 engine code is 4g64 g 36
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

Ok, do you see a thin metal plate behind the crankshaft sprocket (on the crankshaft)?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

Ok this plate runs through the sensor. Here is a better picture.

Can you see anything that looks like the right part of the picture?

Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

Hey Dan I have to run out for about 30 min. I will be right back.

Thanks.

Alex.