Alan
Alan, service manager
Experience:  general motors service manager,30 years of automotive experience
12064003

2001 buick lesabre: system stability lite comes on, after I turn

on my 2001 buick lesabre the service the system stability lite comes on, after I turn off the engine and restart the message is gone , but does come on again it does not stay on after I restart the engine. How serious?
Hi Cayenne has your traction off or service engine soon lights been on ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your answer to both questions is NO
Hi cayenne i am very sorry that i have but i will be here until we get this figured out,i have two more questions,does the vehicle have electronic load leveling for rear susp and have you ever seen the abs light on ?
Hi Cayenne,your vehicle is equiped with vehicle stability enhancement system,this system provides you with additional vehicle control and is directly controlled by the electronic brake control module (EBCM) there are several components that can cause this concern,i doubt that this would cause you a problem on your trip but you may want to take to dealer for further evaluation,thanks for your patience,Alan
Alan, service manager
Experience: general motors service manager,30 years of automotive experience
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IS THIS GENERALLY A MAJOR REPAIR COST WISE, OR A MINOR REPAIR, AND DOES IT TAKE SEVERAL DAYS TO FIX.
Hi Cayenne as far as cost its really hard to tell because it could be several things causing this concern,i would recommend that you take to your local dealer so they can check and see what trouble codes it has stored,this problem will cause over all handling problem and should be checked before your trip,thanks alan

Hi cayenne,

Alan has given you some good answers here, but I felt compelled to add to his message when I read

I am taking a 600 mi trip and wonder if I should take it in to the dealer, before I leave. I would hate to brake dowm on the interstate, as I am female

I think you should get it looked at before your trip. As Alan indicated, the problem shouldn't make it "unsafe"... but....

The stability control system integrates the variable effort steering and the abs systems, and adds a few other sensors to provide improved handling under adverse conditions. If the steering wheel position sensor is faulty, the driver may experience erratic power assist as well as the loss of the stability control system. This condition combined with poor weather conditions could make the vehicle unmanageable or unpredicatable.

Once a driver has "learned" the handling characteristics of the vehicle, the loss of the stability controls could result in "overconfidence"... what I'm trying to say is the vehicle will not handle in the manner they have grown accustomed to.

I agree with everything else Alan has told you.