AlexGS
AlexGS, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  8 Years Experience. Electronics, Diagnostics. Assistant Manager @ All Makes Auto Service.
2858308

2003 hyundai sonata stalled while driving and would not restart.

2003 hyundai sonata stalled while driving and would not restart. After having car towed home, replaced spark plugs and verified that there was spark. Oil was low so filled oil and radiator. Car still won't start. It turns over but just does not start
Category: Car
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

Make sure have fuel. Spray some starting fluid or brake cleaner into the intake (while holding throttle plate open). If engine starts for a few seconds, you don't have any fuel. Check fuel pump fuse, relay and fule pump itself. You can also check compression to make sure that timing belt did not go off.

Thanks.

Alex.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
car has half tank of fuel. don't know where the intake is to spray starting fluid as it is fuel injected...took forever to figure out where the spark plugs were. Checked fuel pump fuse under hood and it was good. do not know where relay for fuel pump is. Best I can figure out is fuel pump is inside tank. don't think timing belt because car still turns over.
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.
Have an assitant hold the gas pedal down. Take off the cover for the air filter (plastic box), remove air filter and spray starting fluid or brake cleaner into the large rugger hose. After you did that try to start the car. If it does, you have fuel delivery problem. Althogh you have planty of gas in the tank, it will not be in the engine if fuel pump is not working. The relay for the pump is in the relay box, located under the hood or under the dash. Relay box coner has information about whick relay is for the pump. You can also have someone turn ignition ON while listening to the pump (it is inside the tank). When ignition turns on, the pump will work for about 2 seconds. You will hear hissing sound if you are close to the gas tank.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks...I will try that. I tried to listen for fuel pump and just heard a click neat gas tank but no hissing sound. My last question befor I accept is if after spraying starting fluid into air cleaner hose and if car starts does that mean fuel pump needs to be replaced. is relay box different than fuse box?
Expert:  AlexGS replied 8 years ago.

The relay box and fuse box is the same. If engine fires with the starting fluid, you have no fuel in the ingine. Try replacing fuel pump relay with an identical from the same box (don't pull PCM or engine controll relay). If relay replacement does not work, you most likely will need the new pump.

Thanks.

Alex.