Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.

95 suzuki sidekick: litre..4wd..the fuel pump,fuel filter

Customer Question

I have a 95 suzuki sidekick with the 1.6 litre,16 valve engine,4wd. I have replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter and had the fuel injectors tested and cleaned,the shop that did this says they are all working fine and good now. I am getting fuel to the fuel rail and have put everything back together.Now whats happening is the injectors don't seem to be injecting the gas into the cylinders,after cranking the engine I pulled out a spark plug and smelled no gas from the hole. I know I have spark and have checked my fuses. It seems the wiring harness to the injectors is not giving the signal to open and close them at all.Could this be a relay or sensor problem?
Please help,Julian in Albuquerque.
Submitted: 8 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Car
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. Get a marker lite bulb #194 I think is the number or #94 either way bend the prongs of this bulb into a way to fit into the connectors of one of the injector connectors, with the bulb placed into the injector connector spin engine does the bulb flash on and off?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, very dimly.
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. Autozone can pull codes for free, but you have to get the vehicle to them. What I see from the test with the bulb is the ECM is failing to provide a solid ground to the injectors, I believe you have a bad ECM.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the ECM the same thing as the powertrain control module.(PCM)?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. Yes it is.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Would you completly rule out relays or sensors and put the pcm at the top of the list?

Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. As long as the battery is fully charged, the ECM link to the injectors there are no fuses or relays, only ground pulses.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok,whats a ground pulse and is that something that could cause this problem? What if my pressure regulator is bad?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. Ground pulses are signals from the ECM/PCM. Regulator has nothing to do with injector pulse.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the engine need to be running to pull the trouble code?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. No just the key in the on position.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If I replace the ECM/PCM and it still doesn't start what would you say?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. Check continuity on wires from the PCM to each injector.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Last question. Could the TPS,EGR or IAC if bad be the cause other than the ECM/PCM?
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. No the ECM controls the injector pulse.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there you are very welcome.