wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence
5720312

2002 chevy tracker: a bad alternator and i am stumped..serpentine belt

i have a 2002 chevy tracker that has a bad alternator and i am stumped as to how to get the idler pulley loose so that i can remove the serpentine belt and then the alternator
Category: Car
Expert:  wrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JA!! what engine size do you have???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its the 4 cylinder
sorry I should have been more specific. is it a 1.6 or a 2.0L ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

my bad as well....1.6.....to be honest i am helping out a friend and dont what is available

Ok, just wanted to make sure I gave you the right answer. on the 1.6 litre, you shouldnt have to remove any idler pulleys. the alt is the part that controls belt tension. here is the instructions for 1.6. if you dont think this is the right info let me know. the 2.0 litre are a little different.

Generator Replacement (1.6L)

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner hose.
  3. Slide the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister from the mounting bracket at the inner fender.
  4. Remove the generator electrical connector (1) from the back of the generator.
  5. Remove the rubber protector, the nut and the generator battery terminal wire from the generator battery terminal.
    Object Number: 168868  Size: SH

6. Remove the upper and lower generator mounting bolts (3).
  7. Remove the generator from the vehicle while disengaging the drive belt from the generator pulley.

Object Number: 168868  Size: SH

1. Install the generator to the vehicle.
  2. Install the upper and lower generator mounting bolts (3) finger tight.
  3. Install the drive belt to the generator pulley.
    Object Number: 168876  Size: SH

4. Adjust the drive belt tension to obtain the specified deflection with 10 kg (22 lbs) of force applied.

Used Drive Belt Deflection
    6 to 8 mm (0.24 to 0.31 inch)

New Drive Belt Deflection
    5 to 7 mm (0.20 to 0.27 inch)

5. Tighten the upper and lower generator mounting bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the generator mounting bolts to 23 N·m (17 lb ft).

6. Install the generator electrical connector to the back of the generator.
  7. Install the generator battery terminal wire. Secure the battery terminal wire with one nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the generator battery terminal retaining nut to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

8. Install the rubber protector over the generator battery terminal.
  9. Install the EVAP canister to the mounting bracket at the inner fender.
  10. Install the air cleaner hose.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.

Tighten
    Tighten the negative battery cable-to-negative battery terminal retainer to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i am sorry ....the alternator does not have any type of adjustment bracket that i can see.....and i just got off the phone with the owner and guess what.....its the 2 litre....sorry to waste your time....and yes i still need the info

no problem. not wasting my time. we are here to help. here is the info for the 2.0l alt and belt.

Generator and Air Conditioning Compressor and Power Steering Pump Belt Replacement

Object Number: 465588  Size: SH

2. Use a wrench and rotate the belt tensioner clockwise.
  3. With pressure applied to the wrench, and tension relieved from the drive belt, remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. Inspect the belt for cuts, cracks, wear, deformation or other abnormalities. Replace as necessary.

1. Properly route and install the accessory drive belt onto the drive pulleys.
    Object Number: 465588  Size: SH

3. With pressure applied to the wrench, install the accessory drive belt.
  4. With the accessory drive belt installed properly, release the belt tensioner.
    Object Number: 468537  Size: SH

5. Inspect for the following conditions:
    That the belt is properly installed on all pulleys.
    When a new belt is correctly installed, the hash mark (3) will be within the indicated range (2) on the tensioner.
    If the tension indicator mark (4) is to the left of the hash mark (3), the belt must be replaced.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

Generator Replacement (2.0L)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 464713  Size: SH

2. Remove the air cleaner hose.
  3. Remove the drive belt from the generator pulley. Refer to Generator and Air Conditioning Compressor and Power Steering Pump Belt Replacement
  4. Disconnect the power steering pressure switch connector.
  5. Disconnect the generator electrical connector.
  6. Remove the rubber protector, the nut and the electrical connector from the generator B+ terminal.
  7. Remove the 2 vacuum lines from the top of the EVAP canister.
  8. Slide the EVAP canister from the bracket on the inner fender and position aside.
  9. Remove the upper and lower generator mounting bolts.
  10. Remove the generator from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 464713  Size: SH

1. Install the generator to the vehicle. Secure the generator with the upper and lower mounting bolts.

Tighten

2. Connect the electrical connector to the generator B+ terminal. Secure the connector with one nut and the rubber protector.

Tighten
    Tighten the electrical connector nut to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

3. Connect the generator electrical connector.
  4. Connect the power steering pressure switch connector.
  5. Slide the EVAP canister into the bracket on the inner fender.
  6. Connect the 2 vacuum lines to the top of the EVAP canister.
  7. Install the drive belt to the generator pulley. Mechanical.
  8. Install the air cleaner hose.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
man do i feel stupid........thanx ..i have another question about a vehicle that i own.... it is a jeep cherokee....do i need to pay now and then start the process over?....i am very happy to have found this site
dont worry about, we all have been there!!! I am mostly a GM expert. you best bet is to list your next question about the cherokee in the car area . just want to make sure you get the best possible expert for your problem.
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence