Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2002 kia sportage: timing belt..diagram..cam sequence and timing marks

Customer Question

2002 kia sportage timing belt replacement and diagram for cam sequence and timing marks
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there!Hope this helps!

REMOVAL
1.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.
Remove the two fresh air duct mounting bolts on the radiator.
3.
Loosen the fresh air duct clamp at the intake housing.
4.
Remove the hose at the resonance chamber.
5.
Remove the fresh air duct.

6.
Remove the five cooling fan shroud bolts.

7.
Remove the four thermo-modulated fan nuts.
8.
Remove the thermo-modulated fan and cooling fan shroud at the same time.

9.
Loosen the two generator mounting bolts (A and B).

10.
Loosen the generator drive belt from the generator by loosening the adjusting bolt (C).
11.
Remove the generator drive belt.
12.
Remove the fan pulley.
13.
Remove the four splash guard mounting bolts and splash guard.

14.
Loosen the A/C idler pulley nut (A).

15.
Remove the A/C drive belt by loosening the adjusting bolt.
16.
Loosen the power steering pump lock bolt and mounting bolt.

17.
Remove the power steering belt.
18.
Remove five bolts and the upper timing belt cover. Refer to Timing Belt.
19.
Remove two bolts and the lower timing cover. Refer to Timing Belt.
20.
Loosen the tensioner lock bolt and pivot the tensioner pulley outward to remove the tension from the timing belt, then re-tighten the tensioner lock bolt.

Tightening Torque : 27-38 lb-ft (37-52 N·m)

21.
Mark the timing belt rotation for proper reinstallation if it is reused.
22.
Remove the timing belt.
Be careful not to allow oil or grease on the belt.

REMOVAL
Timing Belt Pulley
1.
Refer to Timing Belt Remova.
2.
Remove the timing belt pulley lock bolt.
3.
Remove the timing belt pulley.
REMOVAL
Camshaft Pulleys
1.
Refer to Timing Belt Removal.
2.
Remove the camshaft pulley lock bolts.
3.
Remove the camshaft pulleys.

REMOVAL
1.
Remove in the squenec shown in the below.
2.
Loosen the tension lock bolt, and pivot the tensioner pulley outward, removing the tension from the timing belt and tightener lock bolt.

Tightening torque : 27-38lb-ft (37-52 N·m)

3.

4.
Rmove the timing belt.
REMOVAL
Camshaft Pulleys
1.
Hold the camshafts with a wrench.
2.
Remove the camshaft pulley lock bolts and the camshaft pulleys.

Inspection
1.
Install the camshaft pulley on the camshaft with the dowel pins fit into the hole at the I mark(intake side) and E mark(exhaust side).

2.
Tighten the camshaft pulley lock bolts.

Tightening torque : 35-48lb-ft (47-65N·m)

3.
Align the mating marks on the camshaft pulleys with the alignment marks on the seal plate.
1)
For intake side camshaft pulley, align I mark.
2)
For exhaust side camshaft pulley, align E mark.

Timing Belt Pulley
1.
Reverse the direction of the SST (ring gear brake).
2.
Install the crankshaft woodruff key.
3.
Install the timing belt pulley onto the crankshaft.

Tightening torque : 116 -123 lb-ft (157 -167 N·m)

4.
Release the ring gear brake.
5.
Align the timing belt pulley and the pump body alignment marks.

Timing Belt Idler Pulley
1.
Install the timing belt idler pulley.

Tightening torque : 27 - 38 lb-ft (37- 52 N·m)

Timing Belt Tensioner
1.
Install the timing belt tensioner pulley and tensioner spring.
2.
Temporarily secure the tensioner pulley with the spring fully extended.

Timing Belt
1.
Install the timing belt so that there is no looseness at the tension side and between the two camshaft pulleys.
1)
If the timing belt is being reused, it must be reinstalled to rotate in the original direction.
2)
Check that there is no oil, grease, or dirt on the timing belt

2.
Loosen the tensioner lock bolt.
3.
Turn the crankshaft twice in the direction of rotation.
4.
Check that the mating marks are correctly aligned. If not aligned, remove the timing belt, retract the tensioner, and repeat the timing belt installation procedure.
5.
Turn the crankshaft to align the S mark of the exhaust camshaft pulley with seal plate mating mark.

6.
Tighten the timing belt tensioner lock bolt.

Tightening torque : 27 - 38 lb-ft (37 - 52 N·m)

7.
Check the timing belt deflection. If the deflection is not correct, loosen the tensioner lock bolt and repeat steps 3-5 above. Replace the tensioner spring if necessary.

Belt deflection : 0.30 - 0.33 in (7.5 - 8.5 mm)/ 22 lb (98 N, 10 kg)

Timing Belt Guide Plate
1.
Position the timing belt guide plate on the timing belt pulley.

Timing Belt Cover